Bidding on jobs with a one man show!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by FineEdgeLawnsMD, Feb 25, 2014.

1. FineEdgeLawnsMD

FineEdgeLawnsMD LawnSite Member

Hey guys! Brand new to the site and have a lot of great questions. Have about 21 weekly mowing accounts and most of them I do landscape work for, just the basic trimming, weeding, clean-up and sometime mulching. I've seen alot of hourly charging with crews but I was wondering how to charge just by myself!? I've done pretty well in the past but who knows if I've been shorting myself these past few years.

Basically my question is, after materials and all costs, what would be a good way to determine labor rates without me lowballing, being too high or completely ripping myself off. Thanks for the help! :waving:
  2. 9ball1018

9ball1018 LawnSite Member

I like to make at least 50hr solo.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully you will get some answers from LCOs close to you. $50 an hour may be right on, or may be too high or low for your area. Here in Erie that would be a little high.
  4. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Only you can answer your question. You have to determine what you need as far as a net profit is concerned.
    You are your own toughest competition. If your concerned about the competition and weather or not your charging enough leave that concern for them and you concentrate on your own business.
    easy-lift guy
  5. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Easy lift is spot on...

Figure what you HAVE to make...

Then put what you WANT to make on top of that...

Voila! You have your hourly rate...
  6. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

East lift and Armsden are correct. However you need to fit your cost to your market. Allow me to exaggerate. Lets say you do all your numbers and your business needs $100 dollars an hour to pay the overhead and pay you the salary you want. Now you find your market is paying landscapers about $50 an hour. That is not going to work. You will then need to find a way to make your business work for your local market or find another market.