Bidding on Lowe's account

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by someshadelawn, Nov 24, 2003.

1. someshadelawn

someshadelawn LawnSite Member

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on bidding a Lowe's Home Improvement. There's not a lot of ground to cover; it's basically 3 islands of grass in front and two swipes with my Scag 48" in the back. My guess is that it will take me about 2 hours with all the pickup of trash. I have been doing Residential all year and this will be my first real commercial account. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to them about weed control in the parking lot. Trees or shrubs to be pruned. Mulch etc... Get all the work you can.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I agree w/ bayfish. Sell everything you can other than mowing. Come across real professionally by offering mulching, weed control,spot spraying,snow plowing, etc. Our Lowe's do not have any turf areas, but several beds.They use the same crappy blue rug or wilton junipers in all of them.At any given time, they have more plantain and wild onions than juniper coverage. Our stores here are too cheap for professional grounds care. If you only do the mowing/trash pickup, figure costs for your drive time, materials, etc ,X number of anticipated cuts, and add a desired profit margin to your fees. I would charge at least $ 145-160 for two hours of my time on a commercial site.Good luck:D

4. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I have a good friend (LCO) here in Memphis that got burned by a local Lowe's store. They would not sign a contract but requested a 12 month payment plan to smooth the payments. He serviced them for about 5 months and they dropped him for a cheaper rate and it wasn't due to workmanship at all. It was all about the dollar.

I would watch if they refuse to sign a contract in order to smooth the payment schedule. If they will not sign, go to a per cut basis.

Just one mans opinion.

TIM

5. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Not to be an a-----e How long have you been in business you should know your business costs and how much time is involved whatever you bid dont over bid it because you wont get it just because its a lowes doesnt mean there going to give you the world start resonable do quality above and beyond service and u will be in the drivers seat to do more work I would rather put some coins in my pocket for the year then a month or not at all

6. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

You could also offer to redo lines on the parking lots. Equp. to repaint them is fairly inexpensive.

Dennis

7. someshadelawn

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys for all your advice/help. I placed a bid a couple of days ago and I think that i landed the account. I threw in a couple of quotes for extra's too just in case I could get them to bite. Once again, thanks guys. This forum has been very helpful. I have learned quite a few things in here since August. Can't wait to get started on some ideas next year!!

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

hope everything goes well with the bid

9. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

Only time I bid a Lowe's I was told that they were going to do it themselves. I told them that they had 3.5 acres of turf, they said we can handle it. Three weeks later they have a start-up lco doing the work. I ask him what he charges and it was 1/2 of my rate but he was only taking care of about 1/2 of the area I was bidding.

In other words, make sure you are bidding on the same thing everyone else is.

10. someshadelawn

I was very careful to be specific in my bid. This if my first major commercial account ( i have some smaller ones but they are mostly mom and pop operations). I specified exactly what I would do, and what I expected. There shouldn't be to much trouble. I just hope that I didn't underbid it. I DO NOT want to get the SCRUB rep.