BIDDING ON MALL?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Nov 12, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

HOW DOES ONE GO ABOUT BIDDING A PROPERTY LIKE THIS? DO YOU CHARGE MORE FOR ALL THE ISLANDS INVOLVED OR DO YOU JUST CHARGE AN HOURLY RATE, WEATHER USING A WB OR RIDER? THIS WILL BE MY FIRST COMMERCIAL BID OF THIS SIZE. I KNOW WHAT THE PRESENT GUY IS GETTING. INSIDE INFORMATION. THEY ARE VERY DISATISFIED WITH THE PRESENT PROVIDER. WOULD YOU BID THE SAME AS HIM OR WOULD YOU BID IT A BIT HIGHER? REMIND THEM THAT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. ANY ADVICE ON THIS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

Mowman

2. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

I say make your bid at what you feel that this would be a good account! Ive underbid and learned myself, although not as big as a mall. I always hated going to the property and felt frustrated like this work is worth more than this leading to bad customer relations. then Id try cutting corner or not taking my time trying to match you get what you pay for..it may just be my temperament but always leave a buffer and good profit so you enjoy working there, take your time and do a high quality job! rushing around is no way to work!

[Edited by Rufur on 11-12-2000 at 03:03 PM]

3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Disregard what the other guy is getting for service until you have calculated how much time it will take you to mow, trim, blow, and PICK UP TRASH (can be a huge pain at someplace like a mall). Then take the amount you need to operate at a healthy profit per hour and charge them that price. Don't attempt to undercut the other guys price because you will end up getting the property and not making a good return on your time.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I would walk the entire area 2 or 3 times, to get an idea how long it would take to cut. Then add 10%-20% to that. Take your man hours and multiply by your hourly rate.

5. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

It's very hard to mow small islands without bagging or mulching. I would calculate that in as well.

6. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

if there are islands they are a pain to clean up clippings add extra time for this

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not to mention liability! When customers come out and see the island next to their car has been cut, they get leary. Sometimes even ONE grass clipping that hapened to have got caught in the breeze and landed upon their hood can spark an array of complaint and even SEARCHING for a little knick or scratch, that when found, was PROBABLY already there to begin with! The reason I bring this up, is because with a shopping mall, unlike a lower traffic business, there is a much higher flow and assortment of people that go through. With say, an office center, where the employees become more familiar and appreciative with you, you don't have this. Be prepared!

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Just one more idea on those islands, spray them all with PGR.

9. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

You'll probably have to mow early before the place opens.

10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Keep in mind that it takes longer to mow, cause you have to mow all islands individually and weed eat them individually. Its not like mowing one big area, and clean up takes alot longer too.