Bidding on Prevailing Wage work

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Haulin' Grass, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Haulin' Grass

Haulin' Grass LawnSite Member
    from CT

I was contacted by a company for a bid on town work. I'm looking for help/how to's to do this. The rest of the bid is pretty straight forward. I've got to guarantee plants/trees for a year and wondering how many plants you put into the price for replacement ? I know some of you are going to say I'm in over my head but you've got to start somewhere right. I'd like to expand into this area of work but I don't want to screw it up and get into financial trouble either. I accept all CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and value GOOD and HONEST opinions from people who have done this work before.
    Thanks for your time
    Pete

2. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Is the site irrigated and do have control of the unit to ensure things are getting what they need. What kind of plants are you talking about. Trees are a hard one b/c they can go south very easily and are more expensive to replace where as evergreen shrubs normally take fairly redily with little care. How large is this job and what kind of back ground do you have in this field? Do you have the financial backing to go into this and not get paid for 60-90days which is typical? These are just a few questions i would think about first off. of course there are tons more.

3. Haulin' Grass

from CT

Landscaping isn't new to me I've been doing it for 10 yrs PT and this is my second year FT. The only thing that's got me concerned is getting paid. I'm a small company and most of the time money is tight and forking over money and not getting it back for 60-90 days makes me nervous. Like most of you I'm sure. The jobs are small and are in phases. The are sewer pump stations with about 14-20 plantings per station with 4-5 stations plus some hydroseeding. I'm responsible for water all shrubs/trees as well as a one year guarantee on them. I think I'm going to bid it and see what happens. Sure would be nice to get it. It's been a tough, tough 2 years.
    Pete

4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Do you get too pick the plants?

5. Haulin' Grass

from CT

NO, they are spect'ed out already and they look good to me. They are not trying to grow something that belong in my climate

6. AWJ Services

from Ga

I would look at there hardiness.
    We are in 2 different areas for sure but plan on loosing about 10% of the plants.
    If you buy wholesale just double the plant cost and that should cover the warranty.
    Hopefully they are plants that will require little attention after the first few weeks.
    Make sure you figure time for trips too water and if your money will be 30 to 90 days out be sure too add approprate amount of interest for tieing up your money.

7. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

prevailing rate is something not to be taken lightly, i know in NJ enforcement is pretty tough. 80% of our work is prevailing rate work not directly with towns but with gcs who are doing the road work etc for the town.. follow the spec to the T. dont forgot most likely in your state if your going to be using a bobcat the rate is going to go up. 3 times the tree price and you probably have no shot at the bid. this work is HIGHLY competitive and you have to have a super sharp pencil when submitting bids. if you got any other questions i'll try to help you out, fire me a pm. btw we figure around a 15% loss on plants, thats the number we use, but

8. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

AINTNOFUN you have the pink trucks right? I saw you hydroseeding in Manahawkin on Route 72 a couple of weeks back.

9. AWJ Services

from Ga

I was thinking your climate was more forgiving then ours.:)

10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

yup that was us, they are getting ready to redo the parkway ramp...

a lot of the time we get loss from stuff other than the weather.. traffic, other contractors damaging our stuff is pretty big, vandals, theft.. we had one job someone ripped about 25 3' yews that were a few days old..... the job that bigvic is talking about the guys were on the other side of the job and they left 2 big yellow wheelbarrows close to the road filled with dirt, when my guys went back the wheelbarrows were gone in 15 mins!!!! i hope it wasn't bigvic, lol..