Bidding out.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, May 9, 2002.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Curious as to how some of these large or semi large companies hear about jobs going up for bid. This perticular time there was a entrance of a neighborhood taken care of by the Home Owner Association. A new president was voted in and he wanted a new landscape maintenance company in he bid it out to 3 companies....none of them arent in the yellow pages. How do these companies hear about these commercial accounts going up for bid ? :cry:
  2. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

ck ur mail
  3. Dix

Dix LawnSite Member

I would like to know the answer to that one as well!

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

most of the time to my understanding and personal experience the person in charge of that knows the people so how, family is the biggest , but there are other ways.

J&JPROPERTY LawnSite Member

Heygrassman, I would like to know the answer to that one myself, if you don't mind of course.

Thanks Joe
  6. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

My sister works for a builder. She told me that they had a list of all the subs. they use. In this case of LCO's, she said they pick the top 5 that they liked or used the most and have them submit bids to them for the project and go from there. I asked to her to put me on the list..........shot down from my own sister.
  7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Mykster....your sister must love you....she's trying to protect you from working for a builder. I've only had 2 experiences working for builders....neither was good. They look down thei noses at the type of work we do compared to their 'skills'so they want it done for nothing....and they don't pay promptly. I won't do work for another one.
  8. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with kitzy. If you don't know how to read spec's, blueprints, workorders, have all your insurance, or understand whats involved in working with other subs in a structured environment you will be better off working for homeowners.
  9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Heygrassman IF I become a member of that site do you think they would provide me with the info I am looking for ? As far as what I have seen its mostly construction and renovation project for my location. Just curious as to if I sign up that they would provide a better selection including lawn and landscape maintenance.
  10. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

as a general rule we pole all the commerical work "we" would like to bid on. meaning we find out when the contract comes open for bid, we also try to get an itenary from the client to find out what they need and when.most (around here) large contracts (over 50,000 yearly) are on a 2 to 3 year time table so we can get a good feel for what all is involved well before we bid on them.........