Bidding per square foot or yard? Is it alright? How should I do it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassdoctor, Jan 15, 2005.

?

How you bid lawn cutting.

1. Measure.... and calculate.

50.0%
  2. Eyeball it!

50.0%
  1. grassdoctor

grassdoctor LawnSite Member

I heard that getting .003 cents per square foot is a good way to estimate a bid. However do you include the buildings when you measure or just lawn area? If anyone else knows any methods of bidding by size formula please share them here.

:help:

Troy

Grass Doctors Lawn & Landscape
    Appleton, Wisconsin

2. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

.003 for what services ?

3. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: Personally, I don't mow over buildings, so I dont include them in my square footage. :laugh:

Seriously, I measure and base it on my yard. I look at the yard and use the measuring for chemical applications , etc. Don't base the cost of mowing on Square footage....Maybe I should, I might make more money. LOL

4. grassdoctor

.003 is for mowing

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you get a 4000K yard that is $12.00
    8000k yard is $24.00
    I would think you might want to start with a min. and add to that

6. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Dont waste your time measuring for mowing....Having a good eye for time is the best method. Hrs x $ = bid amount ( factor in travel-unload & load etc. )

Ask the property owner / manager to provide you with exactly what areas will be cut, dont assume anything.

7. PMLAWN

I measure every job we do. Helps with pricing and lawn care. Also some jobs can be deceiving. I would much rather spend a hour or two with the tape and wheel than guessing wrong by 20min or so and having to do it 30+ times in a year.
    I also keep on file a plot and plant chart so any time I get a call from the customer I can answer, over the phone, most anything.
    Also measure beds and type of mulch so we know what to buy in fall.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Going by square footage alone will not work. I have a client that has about 4K sq ft and it takes me the same time as to mow another client with 15K sq ft. With all other services I base my price off sq ft, but not mowing. Just need to estimate your time and charge accordingly.

9. PMLAWN

There is no easy answer to this. we put the sq. feet to 3 different formulas and than answer 8 questions about the property. ( trees-hills-layout-?mower?ect.) This is the 4th year and we still don't have a set rule.

10. grassdoctor

Using this system I would have a minimum charge. Normally I never charge less then 30 to 35 unless its something that takes 10 minutes or less. I have one account a gas station I hop out with a walkbehind mower one back and forth strip about 40 ft for 25 bucks. I wish I had about 20 of those right next to eachother. lol