Bidding process?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawn guy 300, Jul 11, 2010.

1. lawn guy 300

lawn guy 300 LawnSite Member

I'll be starting next year and, excuse my ignorance, I have no idea where or how to bid on commercial jobs. Who do you contact to bid on a job? When and where does this take place. As you van tell I am as green as they come. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. after your in it a while, you will know.

3. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

generally 3-4 months before the season, most places will be taking bids shortly for plowing and then december january they gear up to get set for spring

4. socallawndude

socallawndude LawnSite Member

Contact the property manager/owner. Thats as simple as going up to one of the businesses on the property and asking who that person is, and how best to contact them.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

you guys ever wonder why, they dont hire 20 year old Presidents ?

6. socallawndude

socallawndude LawnSite Member

Because the constitution says you have to be 35. :)

7. thesodfather

thesodfather LawnSite Member

start residential since thats your biggest opportunity with little or no experience but people who can afford to have their lawn mowed every week own or work at the commercial properties you're looking for.. just be nice to everyone and do a good job you'll get them. and presidents are appointed or elected not hired idiot that was soooo funny though and right on topic

8. NKOTB

NKOTB LawnSite Member

I just wanted to point out that I'm a young guy as well, looking to start up their own business. The question this guy asked wasn't bad.

It's good to use as much common sense as possible obviously, but there's some things that you just have to go to people with the experience to ask.

I just think we should all be supportive of anyone who has the will to learn and at least is asking themselves questions about how to get somewhere in the business.

Afterall, the name of this section is "Starting a Lawn Care and Landscaping Business".

9. NarNar

NarNar LawnSite Senior Member

A good place to start is local business organizations. Join like the Chamber and start networking. Let me know how it goes?

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

They still Dont get it.