1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bidding question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jpicciu, Feb 18, 2007.

1. jpicciu

jpicciu LawnSite Member

Alright. Not good with bidding as I'm still pretty new in the business. I'm wanting to put a bid in on a community park (2 small baseball diamonds, a couple of shelter houses, decent-sized but not too big open common area, other than that nothing too high profile). All in all, it can't be more than 7-8 acres, obviously not straight, wide-open mowing, but pretty darn easy. Bid will be for mowing, trimming and general trash pick-up (no landscape or anything). Mowing and trimming would be twice a week. How much would any of you roughly charge for something like this? Anybody out there mow any community parks like this, how much do you charge? Hopefully this description isn't too vague, any help would be great. Thanks.
  2. mike plummer

mike plummer LawnSite Member

Or As Much As U Can Get
  3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Around here, if you want to have a chance at getting it, it would be $220 - I base that on $45 for the first acre, and $25 for every acre after that (based on 8 acres.
  4. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow several community parks...One of them is probably very similar in size to what the grounds you described are. Expect to be spending 12 man hours there if you have 2 ztr's. One thing to consider is the amount of trash that will need to get picked up prior to mowing. Check the area now,and if it is in use, see what it looks like on a daily basis. I have one 35 acre 8 diamond park that sometimes takes 7 man hours to pick up. This was due to the negligence and laziness of concession and city employess. I guess that since you'll be bidding on it for two cuts per week, the amount of weeds or weed control will not be a problem. But for me, when cutting weekly, the weeds in untreated grass get high enough to be a problem certain times of the year. Something you'll need to figure out is the best way to cut beside the fencelines to save trimming. I'll actually lean the deck on the fence a few inches. Takes a little getting used to...but it will allow your trimmer guy to trim as fast as he can walk. Oh yeah, make some stripe kits for your mowers.
  5. grassclipper9

grassclipper9 LawnSite Member

I Guess It Really All Depends On How Big Your Equipment Is And What Size Decks You Are Using. On The Average For 4 Men Including Myself I Would Look At The Job And Charge 125.00 Per Hour. So If The Job Takes 4 Hours It Would Be 500.00. Travel Time Hopefully Is Close For You.that Would Be A Big Factor. Any Hope This Was Helpful...