1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bidding River Gravel Installation?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Braxton, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Braxton

Braxton LawnSite Member
    from TN

This is my first year in the business, and I bid and received one job for a landscape renovation. I underbid it quite a bit, but I will come out OK, just not as much per hour as I had thought.

I have another bid I need to make ASAP, and I need some help on it. The customer wants river gravel installed in her beds. She has gravel down with landscaping fabric under it, and quite a bit of fabric is showing. She wants to add about 1" of additional gravel as well as have me do some other things.

The bed measurements are as follows:

Bed One: 20'X26'

Bed Two: 4'8"X26

Bed Three: 4'X17'

Bed Four: 4.5'X3'

How would you bid each of these? What markup on material and what cost on labor? How long will this take, and should the gravel company deliver? Finally, does anyone know where to get this in the Murfreesboro, TN area?

On the other parts of the job, she wants me to hand-weed the above beds, remove 3 barberries, cut down three small trees, pull out one juniper, cut down one overgrown boxwood, cut down one additional small tree, and trim three shrubs.

How should I figure the bidding on this?

Thanks much.

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I'll try to help you out.

I would all beds together as one bid but price it by the cu. yard of material. The area calculates to 2.23 yards of material at 1 in thick. I would sell her 3 yards. If you have no way of hauling the material, then get your cost to have 3 yards delivered to the job site ( dumped on a tarp ). Then add your cost per yard to install. I think between $75.00-$100.00 per yard Labor for the gravel installed.

You can add 10-20% on material if you get it wholesale. Labor explained above.

I would say about 2-2.5 hours for a young buck. Most material yards will deliver.

It depends on how bad the beds are. Years of neglect or just light weeding will determine how much money it will take. Try to estimate the time it would take to do the beds and get your rate. I'd say about $175.00-$200.00 to hand weed that area if weeds are very bad.

I would group all this work together. Small trees???? Whats your definition of small trees? To me a "small tree" is one you can cut and throw it in the back of your truck.
    This part would be about $250.00 if the trees are truly small trees.

Clean out beds and prep for the material....................$200.00
    Material delivered per cu. yard $62.00 x 3 yds=...........$186.00
    Material installed per cu. yd. $75.00 x 3 =...................$225.00
    Remove and trim....................................................$250.00
    Dump fee.(1 load)...................................................$75.00

Total price.......................................................$936.00 + tax
  3. Braxton

Braxton LawnSite Member
    from TN

Thanks for the information.

No tax on services in TN.

Anyone else have suggestions?

4. Braxton

Braxton LawnSite Member
    from TN

Yes, the "small trees" can go in the back of the truck, probably all of them at once.

5. Braxton

Braxton LawnSite Member
    from TN

Well, I bid and got the job. For the bed prep and gravel install $600 only, I bid $600. The gravel company is going to deliver the gravel to her home. I bid $300 on the trimming and shrub work, and she is going to buy the rock she wants for a border. I told her a flat $30/hour for installing that.

So, I'm new at this. Did I bid too low? Too high? What do you think?

And thanks, o-so-n-so. I used your advice as my general guideline.