1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bidding? - Scrubs? - The War is On? - Free Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Flex-Deck, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Seems these have been very popular topics of late!

Seems like most LCO's on this site shoot for $50 - $60 per hr. and I would assume in most instances that is per machine.

I would just ask the LS Community to take a good look at this post and make a decision as to where they are headed, and how they are going to get there.

What is your highest overhead item?
    1.is it the cost and number of machines?
    2.is it the cost and number of employees?
    3.is it the cost of transportation and trailers?

What does it cost you to run a machine for an hr. and how much does it produce
    1.a forumula I have used, and some dealers around here use
    is (Take cost of machine - Commercial type machines) times
    .01% which on an $8000 machine is $8 per hr. This covers
    depreciation and maintainance.
    2. Most people have an ideal about the number of acres that
    can be covered by 54" - 60" decks etc on different mowers
    in one hr.

What does it cost to hire someone to run a machine for you?
    1. Wages is part of it. - pretty direct number (ie $12 per hr?)
    2. Insurance - Work Comp and Liability - Probably comes down
    the more employees you have (Per employee cost)

All of our customers that run 60" mowers report they get done in 2 hrs. what used to take three hrs. per machine.
    1. That means they only need two machines with a Flex-Deck
    to get the same amount done that 3 machines used to do.
    2. If you can put on 2 flex-decks for a total of less than $3000,
    and eliminate ONE 60" commercial machine and ONE
    employee + save trimming time - Where does that put your
    per hr. profit margin?

Economy is different - I just ask you to try to take a good hard look at options that are available today that enhance efficiency and can increase profit margins which may help in your effort to be competetive, and still make a very good living.

Thanks, Brad
  2. Flex-Deck

Mounted a Flex-Deck on a 48 Hustler - Floater WB and the guy is evidently mowing in 1/2 the time and mowing many banks that used to be string trimmed, and is going to register on this site in a week or two to talk about it. - Seems he is thinking about trading 2 other WB's for Hustlers
  3. Flex-Deck

I notice that some people on this site are talking about the contour mowing advantages of multiple decks that pivot and follow terrain independently yet as a unit in the tread " Now this is a Flex-Deck"

Also see they are talking about saving machines and operators

Also see they are talking about $40,000 being worth every penny

Also see they are talking about decks that are forward result in better visibility etc.

Thank You, Thank You - These some of the advantages of the Flex-Deck

Our design has an additional advantage that is in my opinion one of its best and that is that it is a 21" mower (with blade lap it adds 18" of width) and it is offset forward 34 degrees off the FRONT corner of the deck which gets it into:

1. Inside corners as it is even with or ahead of the front wheels:
    2. Between bushes etc that are 2 foot apart because on all types of mowers - tractor - ZTR - WB - Front Mount, the Flex-Deck moves 90 degrees straigh side ways when turning left or sliding left in the case of WB's and ZTR's.

Thank You for the Support and Discussion of Flex type Decks advantages - Brad
  4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Brad, I'd wish you'd stop posting about how this guy loves his Hustler and FD. Here I thought I could keep the secret of how good the Hustler is to myself, and keep out bidding the others, because they are still using those "Red and Orange" machines. You're really ruining my business, please stop:D :D :D :D :p :D
  5. Flex-Deck

Here is the Finished - Painted - Wide Deck (9 1/2 feet) over ditch bank[​IMG]

wide deck-hung over ditch bank-knocks.jpg
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Hey, you can't have that much land. I know I can fit at least 6 more houses in the little area behind the garage:D . OOP's, you mean that's not New Jersey?:p
  7. Flex-Deck

Switchless - the house we just sold had a 3 acre yard.
  8. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you out mowing dormat grass Brad ? LOL