Bidding sealcoating?

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by firelwn, Aug 11, 2011.

1. firelwn

firelwn LawnSite Member

Am I measuring and pricing correctly? I'm not a huge company and I honestly dont seal much at all. Most of my work is lawn care sealing is on the side. So the question is. To make an estimate you would calculate the length and width and multiply by the amount you want to make per sq foot? Right? So lengthx width x say .12/sq foot.... Am I doing this right? Cause if I am I need to start sealing MORE!!!!

2. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

you are corrrect.

3. sealcutter

sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

There are a few sites that help you with your bidding, like if you ran into a drive that has an island and drive all the way round. I think it is the Neal site and Sealmaster.

4. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

thats true, but we have found that by adding in for these factors just causes us to looks jobs.

keep at it get faster make money. watch out for the low lifes that are over-watering their product to keep their costs down.

5. firelwn

firelwn LawnSite Member

Thats what I'm trying to compete with. This guy is a tool aragant pos that thinks his poop dont stink if ya know what I mean. I don't know how the guy stays in business. He cant paint a straigh line to save his life, bs's his customers into sealing EVERY YEAR.... This guy is a no good moron but for some reason people dont investigate him or his business I guess. BBB has so many reports on the guy its INSANE... O well I guess.

6. sealcutter

sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

Know how much material you are putting down and learn how to do all the math. Back In 1999 I went to the Neil sealcoating class in Georgia, worth every penny, I am not sure if they still do this but it help me to where I am today.

7. BIGBOY2008

BIGBOY2008 LawnSite Member

Not to be nosey but im curious as to what sealer product are you applying at .12/sq foot?

8. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

Jesus, at 12cents I would be broke pretty soon. I'm glad I charge .25-.30cent per sq/f here.

9. Subseven

Subseven LawnSite Member

That's in Canada though. People would laugh at .25-.30 around here.

10. BIGBOY2008

BIGBOY2008 LawnSite Member

I use coal tar emulsion and i charge from $0.18 to $0.19 per sq/ft and i dont lower my prices to compete with others. Now if i were to double the amount of water i used in my mix and lower my 24 month warranty down to a 6 month warranty and drop my general liability insurance i could do driveways all day long for $0.12 per sq/ft. I would make okay money then but would probably be better off working 40 hrs a week at Lowe's.