Bidding State Work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A Cut Above LLC, Mar 26, 2014.

1. A Cut Above LLC

A Cut Above LLC LawnSite Member

Spraying cracks in sidewalks and on rocks lining lagoons requires no license or paperwork. It just needs to be approved by the State. I've thought about jumping up to 72" just haven't made the leap yet. Actually, really don't have the accounts to justify a 72"...yet.

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

http://iwin.iwd.state.ia.us/iowa/OIC?action=license&licid=0000000350

Ornamental, Turf License
    You need that to spray weedkill for hire

3. A Cut Above LLC

Thanks. I'll be getting that asap.

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

NP
    Say What was your biggest lawn you mowed in the past

Say what is a JD930M I look it up doesn't come up anything Shows JD930Z models just cant find your M model

5. A Cut Above LLC

I have a church grounds that I have done the last 3 years now. It is 9 acres. I charge them $50 per acre to mow with little trimming, and a little push mow. I also do the snow removal for them. I recently got them on a yearly contract for $1540 a month for everything.
    My John Deere is actually a Z930 M series. Let me know what you think. I just bought it two weeks ago.http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US...k_z900m_series/z930m_efi_60/z930m_efi_60.page

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

I see what the M means now

Your area must be a good high market for you to get $50 per acre on a Church

Since you told me some about yourself I tell you some about me So you will know I know what Im talking about
    I run 3 72'' and 2 60'' mowers weekly I have 4 60'' I use for back up and 1 I made into a spray rig.
    Yep I own 10 DC.
    My biggest lawn is 100 acres then I have 25 acre lawn and I have 10 that's 8-10 acres Then I have 5 that's 4-6 acres then 30 2 acres and less

Hope you win your bid

7. A Cut Above LLC

Holy crap! You're a busy man. That's awesome. It's only been me doing everything for the past ten years. I have grown a little each year, but have hesitated getting too big. I decided this last winter to pursue growth a bit. My son and a friend of his have worked for me on the occasional landscape job and have shown some interest in working more this year. So, here goes. I appreciate your input. I value another "lawn guy's" opinion, especially one who is successful. I will probably stick close to the $75 an acre idea. I received an email from the State today saying they were going to have a Q&A in the next couple of days in regards to previous bid tabs. That will hopefully shed some light on a rather dim area for me.