1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bidding: Stupid or brilliant question?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MR HYDROSEED, Feb 4, 2007.

MR HYDROSEED LawnSite Member

This will be my 4th season. I think like a lot of newer guys I seem to have problem with high bids. not bidding too high, but bidding high in price because the job entails it. I talk to other contractors that bid out a landscaping job for $150k on a 1/4 acre lot. I guess my question is, should I be asking what my customers budget before bidding out a job? I sort of feel its like a mechanic asking the same question to a person bringing their car in for an oil change. "well i've got $1200" I don't want to look like a shady mechanic.
    But if I was going to quote $1000 for hydroseeding and they budgeted $2500 to get the job done, then I could be making an extra $1500 because then I could have also offered irrigation or maybe a walkway which would leave both of us very happy.
  2. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that would depend on the job.If they want a landscape or irrigation designed then I would ask for one.a 3 gal tree cost a lot less then a 25 gal and that budget would tell you which to get.If It's maintanace or fert then they might need a bid.You could try asking for the last companies contract.If you get lucky It will still have the #'s.I doubt It