Bidding time-take a shot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevyman1, Mar 25, 2005.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

here's what I just was introduced to, that my company is bidding on next week

50 homes in a development
    Each lot is between 18,000 and 22,000 sq ft (1/2 of an acre roughly)
    Mowing, weedeating (very minimal, like maybe 5 min. a house), blowing off paved areas
    2 acres of common area in the front along the road, couple trees and telephone poles

I'm thinking $30 a cut per house, times 27 cuts in this area a season= $40,500...would take 2-3 guys 10 hrs by my estimate

How's that look guys? and there is no spring cleanup and minimal fall, which we are bidding at $75/hs

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

So, your 2 or 3 man crew can cut, edge, and blow 50 lawns, and a 2 acre common area in one day? Wow, that is pretty good. And you say minimal fall clean up. Are there not many trees around?

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

HOA--- I think your gonna be about $6,500 to high at $30 a cut. HOA are notorious for taking the lowest bid and someone will beat $30 a mow since you have no windshield time

4. chevyman1

yeah there are no trees and thanks olderthandirt, I will have to consider that in the bid. I guess we will have to go a bit lower if you think that's the way to win

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I would go $25 per house ther is no drive time. It sounds like like an account that would help anybodys bottom line

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

As painful as it is to say it, you will probably get underbid even at $25 per lawn.........

But I would not go any lower than that......

Derek

7. chevyman1

The president of the HOA is a lawyer and he is animate about insurance and safety so that elimates the 'scrubs' so to speak, but there is no way we are going less than $25 a house

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Someone will probably see 50 homes x $20 =1000 bux a week and thaT Is what they will bid, anyway best of luck to you

9. chevyman1

You are probably right man, but thanks for the good wishes. happy easter too

10. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with grass cuttin fool on this one. I guarantee someone will see the time it can be done in roughly and go the $20 per home route for the quick grand. I would say maybe $23 per home and you might get it. Rates can always be bumped up next season. You might take a small lump this year, thats about it though. Just try and make that $100 up on other bids or something, or toss down some mulch for someone and make it back. Just a theory.