Bidding total summer and winter package

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rider1000, Feb 13, 2001.

1. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

Talked to a large commercial account today about bidding their property. They have requested a total bid for year round maintenance. Will mow in summer and have to move snow in the winter. Planning on buying a blower for my ztr. My question is - how do I bid the snow removal in advance? Just quote a price for an average number of snowfalls in my area and hope I'm close, or tell them I cannot bid the job this way? The same person has had this account for 8 yrs. and I would hate to lose it just because I'm afraid to lose my shirt on the snow removal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

rider1000,
    Post this in the snow plowing forum & you will get responses from people with experience in this who don't check this forum that often. Better yet, before that, do a search at the plow forum as there are lots of threads already there about seasonal contracts. Try "seasonal" & or "contracts" & you will have plenty of threads to peruse. Then you can fine tune any further questions you may have. Just remember to take what you read there & apply it to your year-round situation. Good luck.

3. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

I'm now starting to write my contracts for 24 months/year round services. Snowplowing pricing is very regional good luck, you may want to check with some contractor is the area, that plow snow but do other things in summer. Tell them your thinking of subbing it out, get several quotes, take the average & add somthing for yourself(add 10%). Then you can decide if you want to get into snow or you can sub it out.
    Personally I would get a put a plow on your truck, save the blower/mower combo for walks. Look for additional snow work, I don't kmow what the average number of snowfalls are in your area, but for me plowing makes the bills all winter & I have plenty of time to do other things. Only bad part is if you need to go out of town.
    Hope this helps.