bidding work on property you already service..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Apr 23, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i have been cutting this house for 4 years now. $25 a cut, every other week. we do everything, clean ups, fertilizer applications, thatching, trimming... etc.

we did sod last year, in the beginning of the year. at the time they said they wanted to to do alot of planting in the back, weeping cherries, arbs., etc

a month ago, they asked me to design a layout, prices etc,
    i was going over some of my ideas with them, which they liked, then she goes on to tell me, the she thinks she should let me know that she is getting other prices from other landscapers for this very job, and got some already...
    does that go against proper ettiquette or is it just me? i sat with it for a day or 2 and told her to give it to the other guys.
    i found it insulting, and debating making a call to just cancel the service altogether. am i over reacting, or would you bid on work at property you are maintaining at the moment.
    picture showing up to cut the grass, and there's some company making a nice little bundle that you should have been entitled to.

i'm going to be more pissed if its my design i see back there..
  2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

What's wrong with a customer getting more than one estimate? I always get at least 3 estimates when I hire someone for work on my property.
  3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Why would she go to someone else before going to you? As far as your design layout goes, I would've told her not to share it. If she hands it to another LCO and they look at it, they'll figure that the design work is already done for them, which means less work, so they'll factor in a lower price. To answer your question, I wouldn't drop the mowing over it unless you show up one day and someone stole your design layout.[​IMG]
  4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i was already working the property, actually in the line of work that this job entails.
    if your car was the lift at your machanic, doing the starter, would you tell him that your taking it across the street to the guys competitors to have the alternator done? the guy would tell you to just take it over there in the first place then.. especially if he's been your guy for years doing everything.
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I think the customer is entitled to get other estimates and/or designs. I make it a point to tell the client that they can get other estimates... but none of them do.

I guess you will need to be competitive and sell yourself. I certainly wouldn't give up a full service/long term account over a one time project.
  6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO, I am committed to my customers, and I expect them to be committed to me. You wouldn't hire another LCO to cut your custmoer's grass when they are expecting you.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would keep it as a customer and give a outragous price for landscaping.
  8. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

FGA, in that particular case I would be insulted. I have several customers like you are talking about, they use me for EVERYTHING. I couldn't imagine them calling around and trying to find someone else for the project.

That being said... I do have some customers that use other landscapers for other services. These customers are my "price shopping" customers and are nothing more to me then another customer on my route. I don't care if I have them next year or not as long as they pay I'm happy. These customers don't bother me because they have been using other landscapers for things from the get go. Like I said.. they aren't my better customers. I think I would be insulted if my better customers did this to me.
  9. rclay11541

rclay11541 LawnSite Member

Are these people your family? This is business your getting to emotionally attached.

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

gotta go with STUTTER on this one...i give my costomers 100% and i expect nothing less, anything else is a kick in the balls!