1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassRoots Landscaping, Apr 7, 2001.

1. GrassRoots Landscaping

GrassRoots Landscaping LawnSite Member

I was given the opportunity to make a bid on an 8 acre landing strip. The field is flat, has average turf, and only has a couple of spots to trim. I was told by the owner that the last landscaper did it for $150 per visit in the spring and less in the summer. I was also told that she was unsatisfied with his performance.
    She wants me to do it for the same money.
    Does this sound like a low number to anyone else?
  2. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

I would get more, min $ 25 acre+ trim time extra. Dropping price in summer?, never heard of that, I understand it takes less time, but that's to your benefit not theirs. With out seeing it I would bid(from your info) at $ 230.00.
    I can go broke from my own house, I don't need to try that hard.
  3. Three Seasons

Three Seasons LawnSite Member

Don't waist your time on areas like that,for one thing you can make a lot more money on 1/2 to 1 acre lots of residential. most places like that are looking for cheap cuts. there is enough people out there that will work for nothing, don't be one of those.for one thing you probably don't have a big enough mower for that,( I'm Guessing) and you can't justify owning one for that. just my opinion!!!!
    if I sound a little p.o.ed its because i am sick of low ballers!!
  4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Actually Three Seasons, he has a 27 hp Liquid cooled 60" Exmark lazer. I think that would be enough of a mower for the job. I was asked to bid the job, but know that it is too big for my 52" Exmark hyrdo WB. I called up grassroots and sent him over to bid it.

Easy lawn to mow. The lady wants the best qualitly with the lowest price. Grassroots called me today and asked my opinion on renegotiating for a lower price. I told him to let the job go. I bid at 40$ an acre. Even at 25$ per acre it is still at least 200$. He compromised at 150 because the job is SOOO easy and now she wants it even lower. I told him to go 400$ month all year long. Lower price (or so it appears) and he gets paid all year long. She probably wont go for it. I say, if she wont take the price set before her then walk away. No sense giving away your services Grassroots. I know your work and you do a dam fine job. Easy or not, i would stick on the 150$ minimum and not budge. If she doesnt like it then i am sure she can find somebody to come out there and mow with thier 30" snapper mower for 65$. His loss, your gain.

Bid, stick to it, then walk away.
  5. wsgiles

wsgiles LawnSite Member

Grassroots, lowbidding costs you money. I don't know about you but like to make alittle. You need to know how much ground you can cover in one hr. with your equipment, and what your cost per hr. to run, gas, labor, and figure in insurance cost for year averaged into how many hours you expect to run, and depreciation cost on your equipment. If you know your cost you don't have to ask anyone if the price is right. You'll know. Good luck this season guys.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

That should take a little over 2hrs with your machine. That is assuming that it is all smooth, as a airstrip should be. If its all open and smooth as glass, probably 2hrs flat. You should be able to fly through this (no pun intended!) with that new mower. You just have to determine what your hourly rate is. Mine is around $60/hr. You figure, 15min to drive there, 2hr 30min mow time, and 15 min drive home. Thats 3 hrs @ $60 would come to $180. Throw $20 in for her being a pain in the a$$ and make it 2 bills, take it or leave it! ;)

7. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

It's like everything else we discuss here, you bid what you think it will cost you, I am fairly new at this, and with my 60 Lazer I get around 75.00 for 2 acres so that in mind I would bid this job 300.00 and include the trimming if minimul.