Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by d&rlawncare, Sep 28, 2006.

1. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I am REAL new and have a few bids to put in for next year. I know its hard to bid without seeing but here it goes.

264 unit apt complex
    11 total buildings

I estimated a total of 35-45 min per building including mow/trim/blow edge bi-weekly. The apt complex pays 350 for a straight mow with nothing else right now:confused: . What do you think a fair bid would be?????? :confused: Thanks in advance.
  2. djsp24

djsp24 LawnSite Member

quote it for the same price and EXPLAIN your extra services, bullet point each service and show them for what they are ALREADY paying now, they can have a much more professional appeal, that way it keeps there book work the same for there budget AND they are getting additional services with the trim and blow..... Thats my 2 cents, I have started and run numerous businesses and if they dont have to change ANY book keeping or crunch a whole new set of numbers because your doing it for 5 bucks less a week, they would have to completely re work there financial budget for the season.... so keep the price THE SAME.....
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

arent you going to have a heck of a time with bi weekly cuts..... dont forget to take that extra difficulty into consideration...
  4. d&rlawncare

bi-weekly is the edging only
  5. d&rlawncare

thats a good idea..but how much should I charge for the extras? I was thinking (thanks to your advice) to keep the cut charge the same and then adding for the trim/edge/blow.

$350/11=$31.81 per building

$15.00 added per building for trim/edge/blow IS THIS TO MUCH???? this also includes the triming the entire fence row/pool fence/and about 2 blocks of side walk on the main road.
  6. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

Instead of figuring the extras as $15.00 per building, really try to estimate the time involved and put a dollar amount per hour. I agree with the above suggestions. Quote the same price as they are paying now and sell yourself. Anything else should be bullet pointed afterward. Stay away from how many hours it will take or a per building price. Example: Let's say that you figure that doing the extra services will take about 15 minutes more per building. If you bill at $70 an hour then you just bullet point the services and tell them you will also provide these additional service for $192.50. The $192.50 is 15 minutes X 11 buildings = 165 minutes \ 60 minutes = 2.75 hours X $70 per hour = $192.50.