Bidding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by des1477, Feb 11, 2008.

1. des1477

des1477 LawnSite Member

How do I find commercial accounts and how do u bid them? I have no clue where to start.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

ya may wanna wait untill you do a ton of houses, and work up to it....

BELIVE ME, there's nothing worse than being locked in to a contract where your loosing money

3. des1477

des1477 LawnSite Member

thanks 4 the info

4. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I sent a nice professional letter to every property management company in town, about 90 letters. It was a form letter, just personalized with thier name and address, addressed to the Property Manager. I just got an email with bid specifications for 36 properties, and a phone call saying I will be mailed specifications for another 200. Off of that mailing I also got to place a bid on a good size lawn/snow contract. I am hoping to have enough commercial work lined up by march 31st to not have to do any residential advertising.

Just make sure you know your numbers. Research, Research, Research. I bet I have have averaged 5 hours a day on both lawnsite and plowsite since last Thanksgiving(when I decided to start this business). I just read and read on here, there is tons of good knowledge in these threads. I find myself reading 5 yr old threads and taking notes! Also I get good ideas from members here, then google it, and find best prices, or other information sources, etc...

Back to your question. I also go door to door(businesses only) and ask them if they would like a bid for the upcoming yr. If they say yes I try to get it to them within 2 business days, and always present it in person, in a nice folder, and on professional letter head. You can also cold call businesses, but I find that I can walk in and get a better reception then from a call.