1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bidding ?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by casey humphrey, Mar 21, 2008.

1. casey humphrey

casey humphrey LawnSite Member

hello peeps i am new at the bidding process and was wondering what was a good rule of thumb ?? bid by the acre or the total squared footage and what is the going rate on these two things? help help
  2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

well i talldepends on your area some make more some don't.

i base my bidding on the time it will take to complete.
    it may take you X amount of time to cut an acre and then the next location might take you twice as long to do the same size property, so bidding off of square footage along won't work. take into account the obstacles to go around, size mower you will have to use, smoothness of area, trash collection etc.
  3. casey humphrey

casey humphrey LawnSite Member

ahhhhh i gatch ya so what is a reasonable rate per hour these days i have ben out of lawn care since i was kid i was told around 30 to 35 an hour does this sound accurate(per mower)
  4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i try to go for $60 hr or a $ a minute for mowing
  5. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

60 bucks an hour min. and for small properties $30 per visit.
  6. bhepp344

bhepp344 LawnSite Member

Each lawn is differnt, Know what you want to make an hour. Add on for any obstacals or small gates Remember dont under bid yourself, Gas prices will kill you, also if you can dump grass on the site or if it needs to be hauled off. I charge a a min of $25 per cut, some cry but, oh well were all in it to make $ Good Luck!
  7. Andrew Kovacs

Andrew Kovacs LawnSite Member

Yup that sound like the game up here too.
    Good Call