Biding a 3 1/2 Acre Lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ranger520, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

45 per acre

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Side discharging... $125 weekly ($250 if bi-weekly :p )

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

PLEASE do not take this wrong -I have been taken wrong in the past - and sometimes I have been taken right and gotten into deep doo-doo - LOL - BUT

I keep seeing threads that say what do I bid 3 acres at "I have an X mower"

First I do not think it matters where you live or what the LCO's charge - In your area, 3 acres with a certain # of obstacles is going to be bid about the same by a number of LCO's

Second If you are running a 21" Lawnboy - it is going to take all day. --- If you are running 3 60"ZTR's with 2 employees it will probably take 30 minutes.

Third - Both operations will probably bid about the same, but take a look at the overhead - workmans comp for employees, $8000 dollar mowers x 3 as compared to $800 for the Lawn Boy- Who makes profit?

I say both do - depends on what you want and how busy you are and what you need to service the bids you win.

Thanks, Brad

4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

$630 per month get's it mowed, trimmed and blown weekly, based on a seasonal contract. 10 equal monthly payments, March - December. No leaf removal, leaves will be mulched and left to lay.

$525 per month gets it mowed, trimmed and blown on an annual contract. 12 equal monthly payments. No leaf removal, leaves will be mulched and left to lay.

More if they want leaves picked up but dumped on property. Even more if they want leaves removed from property. I'd have to see how many trees and what kind.

I want a contract.

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I'd like to see that! :D

Just funning with ya I'm sure you meant 2 ZTR's with two employees am I correct?
    as a side note, what is the smallest property you can easily put your wide area tractor mower on and still maintain good effeciency with it (ie, not be too much mower to the point of being in the way)?

7. Flex-Deck

BHB - I was not trying to be exact on times, just trying to make a point of big equipment is faster, but overhead is more - therefore both operations probably make a profit-how much depends upon effeciency and travel time and a lot of factors that one can not address with a general post like "how much do you charge for 3 1/2 acres"

I do not think it is any different here in Iowa as anywhere else. The costs of living and the bids in New Jersey are probably both higher, but in every part of the country, if a company lets bids on a 3 1/2 acre property, I would bet that there are a number of LCO's that are pretty close to the same bid even though they may run totally different size and # of mowers.

Thanks, Brad

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I knew your point I was just raggin' on ya about the 3 mowers and 2 operators statement LOL. Don't worry about it I was just givin ya a hard time....

9. Flex-Deck

Oh - LOL :p - I said 3 ZTR's and 2 employees - I assumed that the owner was running one of them - I see where you may have missed that point. Thanks Brad

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Yup i missed it completely lol. I just assumed you meant 2 operators. Well anyway... point taken it's alot faster than the lawn boy guy but with higher overhead. Still I bet he's pullin' in more profit or else why would he do that ;) you didn't answer the wide area mower question. Also, you've got mail. You needn't reply to it but I'd like to hear your ideas.