Biding on a job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by trimmer, Jul 24, 2001.

1. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting ready to place a bid on some landscaping. The job is around 6500sqft. It includes putting in an irrigation system, mulch, 33 shrubs, moving 10 yards of dirt, killing the weeds, a little grading, trim one small tree, and lay 13 pallets of sod. The materials and rental fees are around 2760 dollars. I fiquring around 5-6 days to finsh the job. I was just wondering what a reasonable rate would be? I am totally lost on what to charge and to afraid to tell them a big number.

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Who is the customer? What may seem like a big number to you may be a relief to them. ;)

I would mark up the materials, probably by at least 2.5 times, then add my hourly rate, or daily rate, if you have one.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

3. trimmer

I was thinking around 4150 dollars, I am way off.

4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

The customer does not know what a reasonable rate is either- bid high and negotiate down only if you have to. Some customers feel more relaxed with a high price. It tells (some of) them that your insurance premiums are high and that your equipment is high quality.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

5. CSRA Landscaping

It depends on what your market will bear, as well. Wait and see if some folks from your area respond to see how bad off you were. I def. think that's a tad bit cheap, myself, though.

6. CSRA Landscaping

I'm guessing this is in response to the 'Landscaping Bid' thread? :D

7. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Thought I clicked the right button. Yes. It was meant for that thread.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

8. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

On the surface that sounds pretty cheap. Now, there are things that I don't know about this project like how involved the irrigation system is (and we don't do irrigation, so even if the info was there it wouldn't help me much), you'll be doing some tearing up of grade and regrading I would imagine, and I don't know what kinds of shrubs you're planting. But I don't think I need to know all that to help you. There's a recent thread about a landscape bid where I give some info on a sort of backwards formula. Check that out and see where you fall.

Also, as a measuring stick we try to hit $1,000 in work per man per day. We usually fall between $700-1000, but occasionally do more. Now that figure will vary depending on what you're doing, the materials involved, etc.

9. trimmer

Well, I called the guy the tonight and told him a price of 4600 dollars. He said forget it and hung up the phone like I was trying to rip him off or something. I would have done a nice job for him. Now I feel like maybe it was to much but that was a lot of work and I was going to do it all by myself. Well I guess it is just one more person who thinks sod, shrubs, mulch, equipment, and irrigation supplies, not to metion the truck come cheap. Ahhhhhhh, I am sick of working hard and not hardly making anything.

10. solaras

solaras LawnSite Member

Sounds like you were on the low end to me. the guy is looking for price rather than quality. Go by in a couple of months and sprinkle some Chinchbugs in his brand new St. Augustine. (just kidding)