Bids and apartment complexes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jan 23, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

When's the time to submit bids for apartment complexes and is this generally a good type of business to work for? For instance one apartment area I know from a friend who bid it that they require it mowed at 4" (hey it's long for here but it looks alot better than everyone else's grass), require edging done weekly, the current company (well last season's guy) did a real nice job on this particular area, I'd like my name associated with a place that allows me to edge weekly and mow at a nicer height (grass is always green and lush and fairly weed free and stripes are excellent there). But in general are apartments a good type of place to work or no because they want you to be a handyman, or safety issues due to so many people being around? When do they need bids submitted by usually? Thanks,
    Eric

2. Again how can you get to them to service them? (I don't see your moms van in you sig line)

How can you take their liability risk off of them?

NOW is the time, pre season.

Also "Putting the 'care' in lawn care!"

Putting the "care" back in your lawn.

3. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

Apartments are ussually nice to do. But, you need alot of insurance, and you got to know the Super or guy awarding the bid. Try and introduce yourself now. Buy him a coffee and ask if he is satisfied with last years work. If he is, your Shat outa luck. If not ask for the specs. on bidding. Also, complexes are late payers. They always pay, but you might have to wait 45 days.:cry: If you can wait and keep the super happy the rest is gravy.

4. You have to understand that apartments are an easy account to secure when you know the lay of the land. The manager is the key. Just let the manager know that they will be getting their cut. Doing grass cutting is no different than if they were to install a new elevator or let out a bid for a new roof. Whoever lets out the contract expects to be paid to award that contract. It is a win-win for everyone involved, expect the owner maybe.

5. Do you have a fever or something?

Better go to the DR and get your temp checked.

6. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have 14 complexes I do. I do know the property manager who is over all 14. Thats a start. Insurence is BIG no less then 1 mill. Like was posted above ask if they were satisified, if not why and go from there. Allow extra time to pick up litter. And be sure to have them post a bulliten or what ever written communication for the tennants to the effect that noone is to approack lawn care workers and the lawn is CLOSED when workers are present. It dosent work but might save your back side in court.

Jim

7. michael68

michael68 LawnSite Member

I used to have several apartments. Got rid of them all. They wanted everything now, and they wanted it for free. Every time a tree fell after a storm or just before the owner came in town to do his inspection, there was always a list of things to do that was additional to the contract. Whenever I sent them a bill for the extra they never paid. They were always late on paying ( at least 45 to 60 days ). Just my experience. Right now I just do residential and small commercial.......Money pays the bills so that may change someday.;)

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

BHB, I understand your eager. I admire that. But at your age, your not old enough for a legal agreement with the apartment complexes. You don't have enough insurance to cover yourself.

I suggest your stay with residentials right now. You can learn your equipment. Learn its effiecencies. Use it as a learning experience for cost and pricing for future business.

Do not listen to the now BANNED Lawn Choupidiot. Not all people do business that way.

Hang in there, and have patience. Time is on your side.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

BHB,

My first major account was mowing 12 apartment properties all from one landlord. I can say it was a big mistake. I was constantly picking litter. I always was getting flat tires, from nails and glass. Whenever I showed up, seemed like all the kids wanted to come out and play. I always would have to tell them to go inside until I was done. If you think you can tell them the lawn is closed your dreamin. Maybe if its a small complex. Most landlords around here want a 10 day mowing schedule, always trying to save a buck at your expense. Landlords could careless about stripes, its all about money. But, if you do try them get at least 1mil in liability insurance, because most will require it and to SAVE your ***.

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ok thanks for replies, just asking not thinking seriously. But hey work is work. What about rental houses, being hired by the landlord?:blob4: