bids are low in my area!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by new2thebiz, Apr 20, 2004.

1. new2thebiz

new2thebiz LawnSite Member

Just started my business in Jackson, MI this year and I figure I'm going to shoot for about 30 - 35 bucks an hour for my prices, which I think is very reasonable. I've had 5 new clients sign up so far, but many of the people that I've went to see have told me that my prices are too high, and that some other company has already bid them some outrageously low price, so they do not sign with me. Do you guys think these people are are just trying to get me to lower my price? or is the average price in my area really about 20 bucks and hour, which is about what most of the prices people give me equal out to?

2. LawnEmpire

LawnEmpire LawnSite Member

A problem i have been seeing around here in toledo not too far from jackson is companies with better epuipment get the job done faster therefore can bid a lower price, it sucks but theres so much grass out there to be cut. If they dont want to pay your price then fu*k em.

3. win1free

win1free LawnSite Member

Lawn Empire,

Please show a little class and clean up your posts.

4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

My rates are 45.00 and hour and people agree with it here. Im in New Jersey.

5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in MI and get 45 bucks per hour. I have 26 signed accounts with about 15 more quotes out there. No problems here.

6. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

There will pretty much always be people out there under bidding you. Don't worry about them...charge what you need to charge to make money, and let them overwork themselves. There are enough people out there who value good work, and quality service that you should be OK. In my area there are tons of scrubs, but I stick to my price and my customers know that I will do what it takes to make them satisfied. Sure my prices may be higher, but my customers are always happy too.

7. randy2625

randy2625 LawnSite Member

i work in toledo and have no problem yet i have had no one turn down my prices yet 35 a hour.

8. new2thebiz

new2thebiz LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I guess I'll stick to my prices then.

9. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

10. VMAX

VMAX LawnSite Member

when i make a bid,i dont give my hourly wage i just shoot the price of the lawn.if i told them $1.00 a minute rule they will pass out. so i just give total price with out the hourly wage.