1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bids are low in my area!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by new2thebiz, Apr 20, 2004.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

VMAX hit it, you never tell them your hourly rate for mowing. the average idiot doesn't realize you can bang out a half acre account in 20-25 minutes and charge them $30 for it. they envision you going around and around and around with a POS mower like their neighbor has for over an hour. estimating your time on jobs should be your job #1 at this point. accuracy can make you money!
  2. new2thebiz

new2thebiz LawnSite Member

yeah, I havnt been telling them my hourly rate, just the price that I come up with. I think I may be overestimating time a bit though, because of the fact that I still am just using a regular rider right now until I can afford a commercial walkbehind. Does anyone have some kind of chart that tells the approximate times for moving certain size areas with about a 48 or 52" walkbehind?
  3. djf

djf LawnSite Member

one thing to remember, if you low ball you WILL attract cheap
    people, this business is built alot on referrals and those cheap people will tell everybody how much less you charge. I charge
    $40.00-$45.00/hr and thats just mowing. bagging $50.00/hr
    dethatching $60.00/hr. man hours $35.00/hr. These prices work for me and i do very well and i can sleep at night knowing i charge a good price for a good job.
  4. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

I'm averaging right about $30-35 per hour but that should be the bottom for you. As my equipment improves, I don't lower my price, I raise it because the jobs are done faster and more effectively. You have to pay for all that nice equipment and it's maintenance. I'm just part-time, so I do OK. But as I move toward full time, I plan to charge more.
  5. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

hers what i charge residential
    ~~~~ payup payup payup payup payup
    &#65279;< 1/4 acres ~~~~~~~~~ $25
    1/2 acre ~~~~~~~~ $35
    1 acre ~~~~~~~~ $45
    1 1/2 acre ~~~~~~~~ $ 55
    2 acre ~~~~~~~ $ 65
    2 1/2 acre ~~~~~~~~ $ 75
    3 acre ~~~~~~~~~~ $ 85

i'm using Gravely pm 260z 60" cut period......
    have 72 clients........... payup

mulch triple & double ground, red, brown, black cost $ 22/ yd
    express blower $ 19/ yd installed
    i always use express blower......... ~~~ Sell $85 / yd ~~~ $95 /yd

dethatching ~~~~~~~~ $ 20 / k ~~ $ 25/ k

core aeration ~ 5k == $85, 10k == $ 150, then, $12/k after

bed edging ~~~ $1.00 / sqft, new edging $ 1.35 == $ 1.65 / sqft
  6. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I would never charge by the hour, you should always charge by the job.
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What good is sticking to your price if your not getting any business. Prices in one part of the country doesn't mean you will get it in another part of the country. Local economy may not support your prices. Might have a glut of LCO's in your area. Might have several people in the local paper advertising just to make college money or retires and part-timers in paper mowing cheap.

One other thing is don't believe everything you read on this site about what people charge.
  8. Matos Lawn Service Inc.

Matos Lawn Service Inc. LawnSite Member

Hi People... i am a new subscriber.... about the pricing, i am in central florida and i was thinking of only offering a monthly price for all year round... I thinks its better to have 10 good clients all year then 20 per cut for the summer months.... I just started this year.... what do you think??? I have 4 clients which are per cut.... summer time here is a cut a week but the winter time gets one cut every two weeks or longer.... Undecided...
  9. jmkr02

jmkr02 LawnSite Senior Member

is this man hours? or are you solo? and I am just curious about what kind of work is this labor only or does it include disposal...
  10. lazerslicer05

lazerslicer05 LawnSite Member

Hey What R U Asking For The 44" Gravely