Bids & pricing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Miguel Perez, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Miguel Perez

Miguel Perez LawnSite Member

Just started my lawn business a few months ago, I need to know how to find bids to bid on. Where do i find out where and when they are accepting bids? How much should i charge for a job, that includes mowing, blowing, trimming, edging. The yard is about 1,200 sq ft. Any info would be very helpful . Thanks

2. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on what equipment you have, What it cost to run. Take four cents TIMES your # sqft and that should be a fair price to bid on. Hope you get the job.

Ex.

$0.04 x 1200= $36.00 per mow.

3. mike and jana

mike and jana LawnSite Member

0.04x1200 = $36?? WHAT MATH ARE YOU USING HERE BUD? BY MY TRUSTY CALCULATOR, IT SHOULD BE $48.

4. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Math errors aside, I will truely be impressed if you can sell a 1200 sq ft job for either of those figures. Thats only a 60'x20' patch of lawn. Dont know the particulars such as obstacles, edging, what kind of equipment you run, employee wages, other operating expenses, etc... But all of that aside, assuming you are as inefficient as you could possibly be without being in a wheelchair... I cant see that job taking more than 10 minutes even with a 21" pushmower and 1 guy. Figure another 10 minutes of travel time. So 20 billable minutes for this job (and I am honestly hoping this is a high estimate). Figure your hourly costs... say maybe $60 per man hour (as a rough estimate) and that puts you at only $20 for this job.

Kevin