Bid's to Bookings

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Travisty, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Travisty

Travisty LawnSite Member

I am curious on people's closing rates. I was wondering about how many bids per actual bookings most of you get. I have been in sales for most of my life, so it wouldn't seem that hard, but it's a high ticket item.
    Thanks in advance
    Travis
    ShadowScapes

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Travis, I have an 85% close rate. I guess that's probably because I let them know that I don't give bids. There really is no way that a client can expect different designers to bid apples to apples. I believe that if this is explained at the start, the client understands. I then give my qualifications.

I give a free consultation but I charge a design fee if they want a price for the job. I explain that in order to come up with a price, the project has to be designed and that takes time. Time is money and I don't know any designers that don't charge for their time. If at this point, they pay the design fee, I'm pretty certain that they will hire me for the project. If they don't pay the design fee, their probably shopping price.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

well put Paul. I don't have the credentials yet to be really bold( I will stand firm that we wont be designing for free. We will show them our portfolio and fixtures but I will be telling people we have an experienced designer ( we are outsourcing this at least for the time being). I am installing a few key location properties at far below what I would normally charge and asked for the following concessions

1) do not disclose the price you paid as it is a special rate and we cannot offer it to everyone.
    2) you must allow us to place a sign in your yard (small sign much like an election sign) and place a small light on it for a period of at least 30 days.
    3)If your happy with your lighting and anyone asks who did it be kind enough to pass on the referral to us.
    4)do not let untrained people make repairs or adjust the fixtures. Call us and we will be happy to assist you.

Anything else ? The properties I am going to install are doctors who like to entertain and both just happen to live on semi busy street corners. Very noticable and BOTH next to or across from VERY crappy lighting jobs.

4. TheHotShotKid

TheHotShotKid LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

If you are closing 85% then you are either not telling the truth or working too cheap. 25% the people you meet will not be qualified no matter how well you think you've qualified them on the phone. 15% you wouldn't want to work for because they are PITA's. And the other 25% will fall under the miscellaneous reasons why you didn't close. 50% or so is a more reasonable expectation. 85 percent what a dreamer.:hammerhead:

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

95% of my clients are referred to me from my existing clients!!! I guess you don't have that in your business because you don't get referrals!!! If the prospective client has already seen my work and has heard nothing but praise about me and my company, it is very easy to close a deal.

I am VERY proud of the fact that 100% of my clients are not only satisfied, but they are VERY HAPPY!!

I see why you won't divulge who you are what supposed company you have. You don't want to be embarrassed in front of everyone on this forum!! When you are proud, you show it and I don't see you showing anything that you should be proud of.

6. TheHotShotKid

from Ohio

Guess that's why you are in this forum 24/7 because you are so busy installing lights and meeting with your 95% referrals

7. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

In my discussions with installers I find quite a range in closing rates. I've heard that 25% is a green industry average, but there are numerous lighting companies out there that do close on nearly every presented customer.

A key factor is qualifying the prospect. Referrals make this easy - it's very difficult if you are mass marketing with post cards and the such. Also, if you're going after small jobs, then you will run into bargain hunters a lot.

The worst situation is when installers get desparate and try to outbid the competition by lowering their prices. They end up getting the worst jobs, taking jobs that are not profitable and destroying their reputations.

8. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

I am familiar with Ohio, what part are you from? I believe that anyone that is down to earth and has a real desire to benefit from others take every word that Paul and Steve say as valuable. I have been reading your posts and I am trying to figure out what kind of person feels the need to come off as brash as you do. Along with being on a mission to post X amount of times a day and if people don't respond you just post again. All of us here should have something in common and should have a little bit of respect for everyone. You may have valuable input but until you change your attitude don't expect many to give your opinions much weight.

9. TheHotShotKid

from Ohio

Maybe steve not paul. I know a fake when I see one. What does it matter what part of Ohio I'm from. You already said you don't care what I have to say. And frankly it's mutual. Put me on your ignore list. That's what everyone else should do if you're bothered by my opinion. I'll just post and respond to myself. I can learn alot that way.

10. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Paul, Steve

Good stuff. Gives all us newbies some viable information on who we want as our customers.