1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bids

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Agape, Sep 7, 2012.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Well.....you really dont need a $50k truck for mowing a 15,000 square foot lawn. This can be done with a Ford Ranger with the bed removed and a small flatbed installed.

So no trailer needed.

$17K for 2 mowers?? Thats ridiculous for residential. There are ways to own mowers for far far far less.

Lawn guys have no idea how to keep overhead as low as possible. They buy big trucks, they use big trailers and big mowers. And they mow a lawn on the east side of town, then load the equipment and travel over to the west side of town to cut another lawn. Very foolish. And not seeing the big picture.

2. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't agree with this more.

3. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Dvs you could use a chisel and a hammer to cut pavers but i bet you have a saw.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DVS Hardscaper

There is a Lawnsite member whom
    I am friends with that started and is running a multi-million dollar successful lawn mowing company. Using only small trucks, not a single trailer, and buying new mowers that cost a fraction of the $17k.

You get guys with no education and no ability to understand economics cutting lawns and their focus is more on ego than business and economics.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you know how I started?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

come on guys....the op asked about giving onsite bid...not about how much lawn mowers and trucks cost. I simply brought up the cost of equipment to point out the most people don't realize the costs associated with hardscaping, therefor they don't understand why a hardscaping job could be so expensive.

Off this tangent and back on topic. My apologies to the op.

7. DVS Hardscaper

"op"?

What on earth is an "op"?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought you knew it all...very common abbreviation for "original poster"

9. DVS Hardscaper

Thanks die the rePly! The correct term is "topic creator", as "original poster" refers to folks that posted back when the forum was new. Derived from "original settlers".

Now - you're not the 'Hardscaper in Chief' here. I am. Id we veer off topic , that's life. Ever go to do a patio estimate and you end up talking about your wife's busy schedule?

Posted via Mobile Device

10. DVS Hardscaper

Thanks for the reply! The correct term is "topic creator", as "original poster" refers to folks that posted back in the old daya when the forum was new. Derived from "original settlers".

Now - you're not the 'Hardscaper in Chief' here. I am. If we veer off topic , that's life. This isn't a stuffy serious forum here we're a happy family. Ever go to do a patio estimate and you end up talking about your wife's busy schedule or your football playing days?

Posted via Mobile Device