bifenthrin fire ant control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Jan 27, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Was at a pesticide class and the guy said that he sprayed bifenthrin at 1 qt per acre and it sent fire ants running for months.

What length of control are getting if using bifen? I was thinking that 6-8 weeks at most but have been doing topchoice or mound treatments only. This is beginning to be a nuisence and I want to get ahead of the game.

Then I found this...

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0175-A/ANR-0175-A.pdf

At the bottom is has bifenthrin listed with a 123 day half life. So they are saying 4 months of control??

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I generally only have to spray for them 2 times a year. This is in heavy clay soil. The thing I like about the bifenthrin is if you hit the mounds with a little extra when spraying the customer can see tons of dead ants on the mound the next morning. On turf that is seperated from other lawns [like one of my Banks] I only need to spray once a calander year.

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Thanks. We are usually seeing fire ants active from late march til October. I did find one the other day, kicked it, and they came out.

Our pressure is getting worse every year.

Maybe I can just sell a bifen app for control with the understanding that 1-3 apps per year may be needed depending on weather and ant pressure.

I feel it could be big in the next few years so it would be nice to et ahead of everyone and get a good reputation and program in place
    Posted via Mobile Device