bifenthrin for Perimeter Pest apps

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by klsgc, Jul 17, 2012.

1. klsgc

klsgc LawnSite Member

I have been using Demand/Cyonara for most of my perimeter pest applications and have been happy with the results for the most part. I would like to switch things up a bit to keep resistance down. I know that bifenthrin is a lot cheaper than what I am using now but want to make sure it will do the job. I do 5 apps per year and was thinking of using it on a few of them. Anyone have any experience on which insects bif really excels at and which insects it doesn't do so good with? I can use it in the spring or summer or fall depending on which insects we are seeing at the time. Also, there are about a billion different bifenthrin 7.9% products out there. Are they all the same or do some formulations have better residual or other properties? Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks,

2. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I would stick with the lambda cyhalothrin. I don't like the results of using anything else. You can buy the cyonara a lot cheaper than the demand cs.

As far as bifentherin maxthor was the cheapest but very thick and dropped out of suspension quick, I like talstar.

Posted via Mobile Device

3. humble1

from MA

Posted via Mobile Device

4. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

I use the bifenthrin all around my property for my 3 show dogs. No ticks in 5 years. Works as good as talstar. Did you have an old product?

5. humble1

from MA

We use bifentherin for tick control, perimeter pest is structure as far as I am concerned, so we never had good luck w/ bifentherin on foundation treatments, almost no callbacks for ants using the lambda cyhalothrin specifically we use demand c/s. The maxthor bifentherin sucks, too thick and falls out of suspension compared to talstar.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I sorry but I have to wonder where and How some people every got a Pesticide License from some of the questions I read.

Demand is a Pyrethriods Insecticide

Bifenthrin is a Pyrethriods Insecticide

If you want to break the Resistant cycle, you must use a Insecticide from a Different Family of Chemicals, not the same family.

Try Transport as a Foundation spray.

7. clemsonturf

clemsonturf LawnSite Member
    from SC

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Please explain why you are laughing. I don't laugh at ignorances, I would rather cry because these people are dangerous.

9. clemsonturf

clemsonturf LawnSite Member
    from SC

Ric, I just thought it was funny.

Pesticide ignorance aint going anywhere, anytime soon.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

The problem is Most states give away Pesticide Licenses with the purchase of Cracker Jacks candy. No wonder our Industry has the Reputation it has.