Bifenthrin

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CHARLES CUE, Oct 10, 2007.

1. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

We used a Bifenthrin product for surface insects on some lawns this summer at a rate of .25 0z per th sq ft. and all the customers said the treatment drove the ants into there homes. Is this normal or is there some thing i should have done different. would like to correct this problem
    thank you Charles cue

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If it was applied and watered in, it didn't "drive all the ants into their homes", as they claim. This stuff doesn't mess around on ants. What was it you used?

3. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes when you spray the perimeter of a home for insects, customers will call later claiming they have more insects inside. What's happening there a lot of the time, is the insects that were inside the home when the application was performed become trapped in that home. If you treated the lawn around the home, I could see the same thing happening.

4. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

???
    A chemical barrier is put down, not a fence... It kills them, not corral them.
    There are some species of ants that may detect the presence of pesticide & "split up" & start many new colonies as a defense tactic.

5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=127716&highlight=trap+insects

Visit the link I posted above and find post #4 Liberty. You'll see where Ric, the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to controlling insects reiterates my point about trapping insects.

6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

bifenthrin is notorious for being highly repellent. When ants are trailing in and out of a structure it drives them inside and they are noticed more.

7. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks guys we were not treating for ant this just the results
    Runner we used Menace by Nufarm and as far as watering they were told to but do customers ever do what you tell them to
    thank you all

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Olive

It is good to read at least one guy who has Knowledge.

All Insecticides have one of 3 features. Some attract, Some are Neural. And others will repel insects because of their smell. Insects actually talk with smells, (Pheromones). Baits try and use Pheromones to attract insects in order to control them. Termidor and Phantom are two structural produces famous for being neural, neither attracting or repelling insects. while Bifenthrin repels insects. The repellent feature in insecticides helps to control insects and is part of the residual we want. Flying chewing insects are best controlled with repellent type insecticides. In the case of Ants, blanket sprays of bifenthrin only control 75% of the Ant population. It is the repellent factor that helps keep the Ants down so the customer can't see them.

As for trapping Ants inside, Bifenthrin is famous for trapping ants inside a structure. BTW It is also famous for keeping Ants out of a structure

9. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes Talstar ez or any other granular Bifenthrin will run ants in to houses, I always treat the perimeter of the house with termidor first, you wont see ants foe a long time.

10. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

there something to be said about repellants trapping some insects. that is why when most lic ghp(household) pest control start a perimeter program they spray inside the first app as well.