Big 66 Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Jun 15, 2007.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Is There A Big Difference In The Ability To Manuever Well With The New Exmark 66 Deck Compared To The 60? Is That Deck A Good Size To Buy Or Is A 60 Better Overall?

2. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

The 66 was the answer to my all time ? "Can I run a 72 and utilize it" Well no, the 66 has worked out rather well, we maintain mostly larger accounts 100,000 square and above. We still have a few that are smaller and the 66 works great, it follows the contour better than a 72.. I demoed both and went with the 66, I kick myself in the ass for not getting another this spring instead of the 60..

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

What about small lots where a 60 works but you could fit a 66? Does it run as smoothly over contours as the 60 ?

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

If you mow at 15 mph in large areas at 70% efficiency with a 60" deck you will cut 6.36 acres. If you do the exact same thing with a 66" deck you cut 7 acres. This is the first 66" I have owned and I just finished cutting around 10 acres in 2 hrs. and 20 minutes with some aggravating trimming involved with the mower.

You can tell a difference in the amount you cut in open areas with the 66" over your 60" can't you? I know you utilize the speed you have because you run the same mower I do. You are finished and loaded up moving to the next job before most mowers would be half finished.

5. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah it kick ass, but my point is I got the 66 because I CAN use it on all my accounts.. I do have some smaller res. and it works great.. Like I said demo both and you will see the dif.

As for mowing at 15 M.P.H. I never have and you will never hear me speak of it.. Our northern Grasses get cut at 3.5-4 and the XR7 has a tough time at 6-8 M.P.H. I would'nt dream of 15 that's for transport in my neck of the woods....

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the exmarck 66 is offset to the trim side while the hustler 66 is centered.

7. puppypaws

The XR-7 deck does a wonderful job for me on southern grass at 2.75" wide open. If I could not utilize the speed I would be on a different brand mower probably the Bobcat Predator Pro.

I would be on Prozac if I had to cut 8 to 10 mph but the XR-7 at 3.5" will not cut worth a flip with any speed at all, I have seen this. If you watched me cut grass it would blow your mind, I could not stand the thought of having to slow down after being able to run the speed I cut at.

If you have never been able to cut at that kind of speed it want bother you but you can never go back after you get use to that much productivity.

What ever became of the oil consumption problems you mentioned a while back?

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I think your right... I know the triton decks are offset.

9. puppypaws

You know the 66" Triton is offset and I know the 66" XR-7 is centered, so question answered.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I really didn't like the off set but when I posted about it I got shot down really fast. Most that run the off set deck seem to love them. Out in open area's I'll trim with both sides but I can see that the offset would help with trimming. It would just take a bit getting used to.

Hey Puppy paws, it looks like you had some relief from the drought in the last couple of weeks. Hows it looking in your part of NC?