BIG a** sod rolls

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tthomass, Aug 20, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

So if you have used them:

-What are the sizes?

-Anything else you'd like to share........

Me? Never used them.........just the little hand held 10ft2 rolls
  2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I used "big rolls" from time to time in the past. They were actually three rolls on a pvc pipe. The "spider" machine would set it down and back up, unrolling the three rolls. Then we would have to pull the seams tight. I believe that they were 16" (x3) by 66'. It sped things up a lot, but it has to be firm open ground. We did the edges with normal rolls to finish it off.
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we use 30 wide 70 foot long rolls with our dingo...

the price of the grass is the same... our production however dramatically increases.

i can lay 600 yards in 3-4 hours or less with me and one helper. this is, of course in an open area
  4. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have any pics or it working with the dingo? I am intrigued.....
  5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I never saw a roll of sod down here until I went to my Daughters new school. I about you know whated in my pants. I got all excited because on here we mostly see the sod pic from you guys up north. Down here its all on Pallets.

Just like hey. When I lived in NY it was all bails of hey. Down here its huge rolls of hey.
  6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i have several pics posted here with me using the rolls, just can't remember what thread they were in..
    if you search you will fing them.
  7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

i got in touch with some sod farms.......they even rent or loan an attachment for the rolls that goes on a set of my case forks on a T-190

ever used them on slopes?
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Out here the sod farms sell them in sqaures on a pallets.