Big accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by daleintx, Jan 24, 2002.

1. daleintx

daleintx LawnSite Member

OK you big guys with the huge trailers and the six big deck lawnmowers on them. How are you guys getting the big accounts? Like the Government contracts and the huge office complexes and apartment buildings. I have residential and some HOAs and some gas stations but nothing really big. I have never been keen on the business end of this business. Do you guys just go knock on doors or does it come from advertising. I could use a few accounts that pay $1,000s a month. Lets have a little advice here for the little guys.
  2. Personal contact works the best. Walk right in and introduce yourself. Park your equipment where they can see it. Leave them fliers, pens with your name on them etc. Don't try to be a businessman, try to be their friend.

Listen carefully for clues on how to get the job. Not just from the plant manager, but from the receptionist, the guy you met going to the restroom. Ask to use their breakroom, and buy someone there a coke. Take notes. You're solo, exploit that. Give them more personal service than they can handle!

Didn't work? Next week when you come back, you know the receptionists' name and who you want to see. Be persistent, just not a pest.

If you ever get to see someone, they're probably someone who has had "outside maintenance" responsibilities added on to their existing work load. Listen to what they want. Give them what they want. Don't make trouble. Don't tell them "no"
    It's like that song says: "He just keeps yes-ing them to death and as he takes their dough, He tells them YES we have no bananas...."

I find advertising less successful. Mostly calls you wish you'd never gotten. Plus the quality of the clientele is noticeably inferior.
    Although sometimes it's a necessary evil. This year I'm putting my business name back in the phone book after 10 years. Just a line add. I have to look legitemate.

That's what works for me.