Big Bid Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AMAC, Jan 2, 2004.

1. AMAC

AMAC LawnSite Member
    from MO

I am about to bid on a peice of property that is not yet finished. The property is approx. 22-25 acres of mowing and is all flat, but the parking lot (approx. 7 acres) is not done, so I don't know about the trimming. I must bid on this before it is completed to get the job. What would you guys charge for this?

2. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you get to look at a set of plans for the parking lot before submitting your bid. They may have islands all over the place and a ton of curbs to jump. Are you just using your Gravely and Metro's to it with.

I can't handle accounts that big so I can't really help on price. If your going to have to buy equipment make sure you get at least a 2 or more year contract.

By the way, how do you like your Metro hp's? I'm looking for a w/b and have been asking opinions.

3. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns LawnSite Member

What all will be included? Will there be flower beds?

What about bushes?

Will it need mulch, what kind and how much?

How many feet of trimming is there? Are there sidewalk?

Is there irrigation and will there be a fertilizer plan?

You should be able to at least ball park just for the cutting based on what the market average is per acre in your area. Than you will have to do the add ons for the rest and set your margins. Not sure you will want to be tied up doing that size job with W/B's a Zturn or Great Dane might need to be in your future if the rates are right and you can get a long term contract.

Good Luck sound like a great lead. Those type of jobs lead to great referral business.

4. AMAC

AMAC LawnSite Member
    from MO

There wont' be any islands to jump, but there will be a lot of trimming to do on the curbs, I just don't know how much. By the way, I am very impressed with the Ex-Mark Metro hp, I have had one for two years and mowed 6 days a week in season, 8 hour days with zero breakdowns!!

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Get a copy of blue prints gonna cost you 1-2 hundred but you get most of it back when you return them. You can't bid a job till you know what your bidding. Good Luck

Mac

6. olderthandirt

from here

Missed yout last post
    Bid $3000-3500 per mow

7. AMAC

AMAC LawnSite Member
    from MO

No mulch, no bushes, no fertilizer plan, no flower beds, don't know about the sidewalk, it is strictly mowing and trimming. What do you guys think is an average acre price with 60" or 72" ztr's.

8. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns LawnSite Member

Mac,

Just curious did you get that based on man hours or per acre? I came up lower at about $100. per acre but have to add the labor for trimming, using a per acre market rate for my area and add the $40 - $50 per man hour for the trimming but I think it would be close.

I like the high rate of course but really have to know what market rate is to get close enough to earn the work there.

AMAC, the rate should be more toward what the market rate demand and not focused on the equipment you are using. If you have more productive equipment than the next guy you should not have to lose money because of it. Lets not forget about what happen of you highly productive equipment should fail and you have to use sometime that will take more time? You never want to be so far off that should that happen you find yourself at a loss in the margins. Just something else I have learned along the way. Even new and the best of equipment fails or gets broken. This happens more often as there are more employees involved.

Hope it helps.

9. olderthandirt

from here

$50 per acre and $100 per acre for trim but thats a guesstimate
    I don't figure hrs on mowing. I would bring in 11 ft gang mower for the 25 acres. or 2 -72in. Z

10. AMAC

AMAC LawnSite Member
    from MO

Guys I don"t want to sound like a low baller but 3,000 - 3,500 Wow!!! That would be great, but in my area I may be lucky to get a third of that. I'm sure a lot of people will be bidding on this property and I want it bad!! Maybe, I am way off in this bidding stuff, but thats why I am here at lawnsite. By the way, thanks for your opinions so far, Keep them coming!!