Big bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Watcher, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Lawn Watcher

Lawn Watcher LawnSite Member

Well I just got asked to put a quote for a new account and thought I would post here and see what you guys might charge...
    Approximatly 100,000 sf of thick dense Kentucky blue/red fescue. Lawn is about 2 years old now and was fertilized HEAVY last year to make the sparce grass then grow to what is one of the nicest looking lawns I have ever seen now. So this year he signed up for the fert company to do the same treatment this year (about 7 applications, 2 of which have already been applied) and even prepayed for the whole year. There is about 35,000 sf at the end of abour a 1/8 mile driveway with a detention basin, about 10 feet on either side of the driveway and the rest is in the back and side of the house. All very open with only trimming around the edge and along the street and driveway (no trees in middle of lawn). The Lawn is currently about 1 foot high. Any any debris has to be dumped about 400' from the driveway and house in the back of the yard. He has a sprinkler system on the whole yard and waters it regularly. I would expect about 6 inches of growth at least a week. Oh and did I mention.... HE WANTS ALL THE GRASS COLLECTED AND DUMPED IN THE BACK YARD!!!! :eek: For now I told him I will cut it tomorrow at an hourly rate, since it needed it cut LAST week. I'll repost with how long and how much clippings I got. This time I will be using my 54" Bobcat hyrdo WB. If I land this account I will definintly be in the market for a ZTR.

Going to be one tired.....
    Lawn Watcher :sleeping:

54" Bobcat Hydro WB
    2 36" Scag WB
    13 HP Honda Little Wonder
    Echo 750 Backpack
    2 Redmax 2500 Trimmers
  2. Lawn Watcher

Lawn Watcher LawnSite Member

Well I cut for some 6 hours on it with my 54" bobcat before it got dark on my today, I figure I got about 2/3 of it completed. So far I collected 17 cubic yards of clippings.. I'll give the grand total tomorrow when I finish (if the rain holds off.)
  3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

So is it more of a job than you thought at first? Collecting clippings must be a major pain.

Could you talk him into the benefits of mulching the clippings.....after the spring growth slows down? Just a thought to save your back...hahaha! Work hard.
  4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

This is where the walker shines. It may be somewhat slow going in stuff like that, but it comes out REALLY nice, and you aren't busting your hump.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Thats alot of grass to be bagging and dumping with a wb. You are earning your wings. I am not tryin to sway you (mayby a little) but if you get the job see if you can talk a Walker dealer into a demo for this property.
    It isn't the fastest Z on the block but for this application it is the best and the finished results are great. You can bag 9.5 bushels at a time using a 48" GHS collection deck. You will be way less tired and you will be done much quicker.
    What height are you cutting at right now? I see it is currently 1 foot high, man you have a mess.

What is the purpose of bombing this lawn with so much fertilizer? I would love to see a picture of it today and then in about a year. With all the top growth from a N bombing I am thinking that you will be cutting patches within a season or so. That is the same mix of grass that I cut and I know how thick it can get. But I also have seen it become a thatched mess from TG/CL doing overapplications of N on them. Core a sample and take it in to Lesco for a soil test. I think you would be shocked. I do applications and I know lots of companies that do also but I never heard of 7 applications of fertilizer to any lawn. Is that something typical for your area?
    Good Luck, if I was closer I'd come by and let you use my Walker while I aerate today. let us know how you did and what you charged.
  6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Thats why I love my collecton system, can collect up to 12 bushels at a time. I don't really like to collect nor do I push it, but there are people that want it done and certain times you have no choice. I primary bought this for spring/fall leaves.

7. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

That is alot of bagging my friend....