Big bidding problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wright48, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

Im a scaper out of NJ and this winter has been really profiable with snow the bad thing is that i cant bid commercial properties or start looking at my residental customers yet because the snow is still covering alot of the the properties. I know other scapers must be having the same problems.

Its going to be balls the wall crazy come the end of march with how much bidding hasnt happend.

2. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

right now I have 76 fert quotes ready to be filled out. I won't use the online services using satalites, I insist I see every job first to see what kind of condition they are in and look for any signs of past disease or insect damage. I'm hoping to get these run this week before any more calls start coming in

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Even though, you can still look at the SAT images and start roughing out an estimate until you can look at them personally.

I would think that it makes your stops faster when you do finally go take a look at the properties.

4. GreenI.A.

I looked on google maps just to see how close they were clustered together to set up my routes for when I go look at them. Of course doing that gives me an idea if I am looking at a $50 an app lawn or a $150 an app lawn. But I wont fill out the quote with anything more than the owners contact information untill I get out there and see it with my own eyes and measure it

5. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

I mean i guess you could go out and do the sq ft. estimate for ferts but how the hell are you going give a estimate unless you know whats under the snow thats what im getting at.

And I know of a few competetors bidding for spring clean ups and i just think its stupid because you could really loose you shirt when you find out whats underneath those big snow mounds.

6. GreenI.A.

exactly, pack 6 or seven years ago I was working for one of the national fert companies, I wont say who, but it was not tg/cl. They had us running estimates when there was 8" of snow on the ground because every other region in the company was out there doing it. Too many customers said no, simply because how could they trust us, we were giving prices with out nowing if we were looking at a large turf lawn or one with tons of empty annual beds or flat patios. looking on line gives me an idea but from that or the snow covered lawn I have no clue of the conditions I am starting with. My house on Go I-lawn is a photo from about two years ago, i can see the truck that was totaled years ago sitting in the drive. The only way to be truelly accurate is for me to see it first hand

7. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i just had a chance to bid on a set of chain stores, and with all the snow i couldnt see the beds and turf. the deadline was saturday and i let it go. im not going to undercut myself. what i will do is when the snow melts i will go and look and be ready for next time it is up for bid. it sucks but thats life in the northeast. at least the ice fishing is still good! lol