big black and dirty!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, May 14, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

is there any such soap that will reduce hard water stains. i have mostly all black equipment and am looking for something to reduce the stains.

yesterday i bought one of those window squeegee's for my enclosed trailer. i figure that that will be way easier than wiping it dry.

what are my options????

2. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Use a water softener like for a dishwasher on the rinse. It keeps from spotting. Thats what the car washes use in HArd Water areas.

3. grass disaster

you mean add a little dish washer soat to my bucket. i've heard that that soap is pretty strong. just wondering will that be hard on the paint.

good idea, never thought of that one!!

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

No dish washer soap, or dish soap. Both are pretty harsh and will strip the wax off your finish. I do wonder about jet dry though? It keeps water from spotting, but I'm unsure if it is a surfactant or what? Never tried it before, never thought of it.

Car washes either use water softeners or a reverse osmosis system for their "spot free rinse" and the one I frequent works like a charm, no towel needed!

5. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

6. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Just add a water softener to your water system in your house. I realize they aren't cheap, but in the long run I believe they pay for themselves. We had bad rust/ hard water stains on our sinks and forget about getting the whites bright white until we installed a softener. I had to replace a water heater because it was filled to the bottom element with rust/iron deposits. I figure the savings in appliances alone will pay for the softener!! Of course you also get the benefits of soft water to wash your equipment with as well.

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

This way the sun wont heat up the black painted surface and cause water spots. Also wattersoftners help a lot black looks real good but it sure can be a pain.

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Use your backpack blower to blow it dry. I use mine on my street bike to stop spotting.

9. grass disaster

that's a lot of surface to blow off. i have a water softener in my home but the water for the outside is hard water. i think i might call a plummer tomorrow to see how much to get a valve to switch it over for soft water.?????????

i'm sure i will use the blower before i swueggie it off too

10. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member