Big Block Briggs dependability 31hp 35hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Apr 7, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

For those of you that own a big block Briggs 31 or 35 hp air cooled engine please report on the dependability of this engine. It has been out several years and Scag and Exmark say they are doing well. We have a few complaints on the forum sometimes about these engines but they seemed rare. One of my dealers in Lexington reported a high percentage of failures today when I talked to them. There is one post on the Exmark forum with a few guys venting about problems if you care to read it. This is information that could be helpful for all of us so please chime in. Please include the hours on you engine if you could. Thanks!

Try to keep it to the two engines listed above because they are made by Daihatsu/Briggs and are a different engine than many of the smaller Briggs line.

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

They are a Toyota/Daihatsu design, made by Mitsubishi, and sold with a Briggs sticker on them. :)

3. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

I will never, ever buy another, mine is talked about in the exmark foirum.......

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Could you not have gotten a lemon or is this a widespread problem which can be proven. There is nothing made that can't have a lemon in the bunch.

5. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

No lemon, 1st one died before it hit 800hrs on my 72". This one is about to be laid to rest with a little over 1000hrs on my 66".

6. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Best air cooled engine i have ever owned. the fins are big and dont clogg up, it use no oil. We go 100 to 150hrs a change and never add oil. Fuel usage is amazing for the power and production. I blew up 3 generac engines. They start so easy and even in the cold. I have 1300hrs on a 31hp on a 72 lazer. Did i mention the power? Its an amazing engine to me.. we are hard on equipment an trust me its a great engine. MSLAWN?? must be a lemon..Did you break in the oil at 8hrs and change it on a reg basis? HMM well i have had good luck with mine.

7. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have not had any problems with mine and its a little over 400 hrs, but i am a maintenance freak and i do all of it myself.

8. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if this falls into the catagory but I have a 32 HP Briggs on a 72" with only 200 hrs on it. I does use some fuel but like luckylawnboy said its got power. It did have an electrical problem right after I bought it. wire pinched off under one of the shrouds and would not start.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

i have 3 on 72" z's with absolutely no problems

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.