Big block engines

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lynn, Jan 24, 2004.

1. lynn

lynn LawnSite Member
    from fl

How may people have big block engines (360/454) and what are your thoughs on them? Do you think they are needed to pull
    trailers?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

nothing beats cubic inches for power. No I don't believe you need them to pull get the right gearing and you can tow with a 4 banger.

Mac

3. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

The more the merrier. Engine doesn't work as hard and lasts longer.

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Love my V10 - 8 liter. - Smoooooth and Poooowwerful

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

The big blocks are big on power but they are gas guzzlers. Better off with a diesel IMO.

6. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

I agree with Avery. Gas mileage is a killer.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Don’t think it’s considered a big block, but I have a ’90 Ford F250 with a 351 V8 EFI, 5 spd manual and 3.55 gears. About 10-11 mpg towing my lawn trailer in town. I know guys with brand new Chevy 2500 trucks with 6.0 Liters and automatics that get the same mileage. Hmm… either Chevy is 14 years behind or Ford outdid themselves, or maybe both :p LOL
    It’s all in the gearing honestly. As mentioned any engine works as long as the gears are right. Are we talking about a half ton, ¾ ton, 1 ton or smaller, bigger, what? If we knew what type of truck you’re asking about we could help more with engine and gearing.

8. Avery

Not to start the Ford/Chevy debate but that is one arguing point you will lose every day of the week. Ford has never gotten as good a fuel milage. I have had numerous of both brands.

As for a Ford 351 getting the same as a 6.0 Chevy. I would say Chevy is ahead. That is a 383 cu/in motor getting the same milage as a 351. More power and same mileage. Looks like a win for Chevy on that one. :)

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Not a fair comparison your talking about a 12 yr old engine to a newer design. Now if you want to campare the 351 to a 350 More power and same mileage. Looks like a win for Ford on that one.

Mac

10. Avery

I was just clarifying the comparison he started. Using his figures. :)

And again a NEW 351 will not get the mileage of a NEW 350. If they still made a 350.