1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big block gas engines, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Sep 13, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just wondering how much extra fuel that the big blocks such as the 31/35 hp engines are using in your experience. Does the extra power and torque needed probably a small percentage of the time justify the added weight, expensive and fuel cost under normal conditions. Love to have a big block but thats alot of extra money and I'm not sure about the reliability of the Vanguards or the fuel consumption.
  2. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I have one on my XS lazer and it uses less fuel than my 25 hp kaw. on my deeres. It has so much power in reserve that the governer is never opened all the way compared to the Kaw. is always open and bogging alot.
  3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I Like My Late 3/4 Or 1ton's 80's Ford With The 351/400m For The Work Truck Money!!!!!!!!
  4. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

What a sence of humor! lol I can see the uses of a big block (on a mower).
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The vanguard engines are very durable engines and I never did anything to mine other then standard oil changes, fuel filters, and spark plugs. Other then that, it needed 1 pull cord but that was it. It was a great engine and gave plenty of power to my hydros and the deck. (it was on a 52" bobcat hydro wb) I like the kawasaki engines as well.
  6. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I got one on my lazer XS 60. I am running a mulch kit. That consumes some power in thick grass so I am glad I have it in that regard. Without comparing the same mower with the same deck with 2 different motors on them all your going to get is opinions. Some of the guys here may have that setup but I don't. That being said though I have not been surprised by the fule consumption.

7. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

There is a lot of Encore guys here that are using the generac v-twins and like them alot they say they are easy on gas. I have a vanguard diesel and have never had any problems.
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well you read many post about guys wanting more power. My Lazer with the 27 Kohler/60" cut seems fairly powerful in most conditions but of course you can bog it down if you cut heavy and fast enough. Of course with the big pump/motors the Hustler Super Z can really leave you wanting more (alot more) on hills. If Exmark had had the decks fixed I would have probably got a XS but I notice Scag offers the big blocks also on the Turf Tiger. The problem with Exmark (other than the new deck which I hear is going to be fixed) is that you have to go to a larger mower frame to get above 30 hp. Some of the heavy lawns I do I probably should have gotten a big block but I would sure loose money on a trade. Does the Sabre Toothed Tiger have a larger frame than the Turf Tiger?
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 35 hp Briggs & Scrapiron on my Ferris 4000...it just loves fuel I can tell ya.
  10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The 31 on a 60" deck can certainly outperform the 23 horse with the same 60" deck, but obviously there is a fuel cost to consider.
    Unless cutting acreage with it the big blocks really aren't necessary.

The XS with the 31 horse briggs is a great machine, however it is too heavy for smaller lawns. Wide open is the place for the big blocks..............