1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big box stores cheaper than wholesale

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by jd75760, Feb 8, 2009.

1. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

I know where to find leyland under 9.95 wholesale. What I meant was, where did he find them at home depot? Were they at the end of year and trying to dump them or was that reg price? What is everyone else seeing for prices on 3gal at home depot/lowes?:confused:
  2. jd75760

jd75760 LawnSite Member

Lowe's in Hermitage, Tn. has 3 gallon LC reg price at $9.97. Lowe's in Madison, Tn. which is only about 12 miles away had the same 3 gallon LC for $12.96. I drove about 65 miles to McMinnville, Tn. where they grow most of them and supposedly sell "wholesale" and the same 3 gallon LC was $15. These prices were Tuesday, Feb. 09.
  3. allinearth

What are some other plants priced at. Could be leyland is a loss leader. Unless all 3 gal were 9.95.
  4. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I found a lady that sells Jap Maples cheaper than anyone!!! Lots of nurseries, but you have to do some digging to find the best quality and the best prices.

You may also want to find a price broker. I have a friend that used to be one. He could save companies serious cash on large installs. Good luck!
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

A 3 Gallon Barberry costs $18 at my local "wholesale" nursery. I abolutely need to charge $45-50 when you factor in the time to pick it up, plant it and then garentee it for 1 year.

Dusty, I have heard that Jersey nursery stock is much cheaper. I just dont have the time during my busy spring schedule to spend an hour and a half each way picking up plant material. Ideally I would go a few times a year and stock up on the plant material I know I used the most........ the problem is that at the end of the 12 hour day working in May, the last thing I want to do is come back to the shop and water/tend to plant material!!

When I give estimates for new Landscape installation I try to be as general as possible... I give a price for the entire job. If I sent someone a breakdown of each plant used/price people would have a fit. I dont think too many people would be willing to pay $1,000 for a Japanese Maple..... When its all wrapped up into a computerized design they dont blink an eye at the $4,000 total cost.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, sure, fine...

This isn't intended to put anyone down, but rather to let you see it from the other side's perspective.

So, why would anyone expect to just walk in some place and act like a big shot so
    that they'll fall all over themselves and hand over all their merchandise at great
    discounts while we flash the "Business Owner" card in their face?

Oh, that's right, make sure to call first, yeah that's it.

Y'all ain't the first Johnny come greatlies :p
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  7. Canon Landscaping

Canon Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I live close to mcminnville and operate 3 supply yards and I agree with this statement 100% we see tons of these guys come in wanting a discount. Most of these guys are driving a new diesel pickup pulling a little 16ft trailer talking like they are a multi million dollar company. I have guys that say well I can get that in mcminnville cheaper I tell them roll on if you are spending all day driving around looking for plants you don't have much work. Why are you driving 65 miles to mcminnville you can't haul enough plants on your pickup to make it worth your while. Keep mowing grass leave the landscaping to the pros.
  8. joe crumpler services

joe crumpler services LawnSite Member

Some 10 years or so ago I worked in L&G @ Lowe's. They have an extensive training program for their L&G workers to certify them in the care of the trees, plants, & foliage at the store. They buy their stuff from reputable growers...I know because I helped unload the trucks. They can't make the 1 year plant guarantee work if they buy crap. These stores have tens of thousands of dollars in plant inventory at any given time. I presume Home Depot and other box stores have similar programs.

BTW...Wad'ya think "quality growers" pay their workers? Do they provide health insurance and benefits? ESOP plans? The last CEO of Lowes to retire (Bob Tillman) started out as a stocker in the Goldsboro, N.C. store.
  9. allinearth

The big boxes buy quality stock. But , better get it the day it comes in because no one will take care of it after that.:rolleyes: Doesn't help that their set up is usually on asphalt and in hot sun most if not all day.
  10. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

you know, i really don't care what our growers pay their employees. that's their business. i guess box stores are fine if you need one or two half-dead $3.77 1 gal. boxwood. we buy semi-trailer loads and have our plant material shipped by the grower. i know the quality to expect and that the material i'm buying is grown locally, not being shipped in from a different part of the country.