Big Briggs gallons per hr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Sep 24, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I just rechecked my 31 hp big block briggs (diahatsu) for fuel usage on my Scag Turf Tiger (yes they put a 31 on some models) I was very careful to fill it up, run it 5 hours and fill it back to the same exact level.
    I was surprised it used only 1.3 gallons per hour.

5 hrs @ 6.5 gallons of fuel = 1.3 gallons per hr

I was getting only 1.4 gallons per hr in the Spring but that's still not much more than my 27 Kohler gets and it it "much" more powerful.

This is the second time I've checked it so I feel comfortable with the numbers. I'm sure the 35 would be comparable in my conditions.

For those that may have wanted to know.........
  2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

When you think about that it is really amazing, I would be willing to bet a 25 Kawasaki will burn that much fuel in an hour and I have experienced the power your engine has. The power for fuel usage, it is probably the best gas engine out there.
  3. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats really good on the gal/hour. My tiger cub with the 24 (soon to be 26) briggs gets around 1.8
  4. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Senior Member

What were the cutting conditions like? Normal growth or lighter, late summertime type growth? Thanks, PC
  5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Both the 23 Kawasaki I used to have, and the 25 I have now use approximately 1.3 gph, so that is really great on the fuel. Is that engine fuel injected? I can't undestand why all engines aren't being switched over to EFI. Really makes sense with the fuel prices nowadays.
  6. puppypaws

No, his engine is not fuel injected and that is extremely good fuel economy on a big blocked Brigg's.

That power to fuel ratio for a gas engine is probably the best in the market.
  7. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

My 32HP Briggs gets about 1.3 gph. I can go about 4 hours on 5.25 gallons. I think my 31HP Briggs/ Diahatsu gets slightly better, but that also has about 300 hours more on it.
  8. puppypaws

That is great fuel economy, how many hours do you have on the Vanguard's and has there been any problems.

What area of piedmont NC are you in, if you don't mind saying?

One more thing, how do you like your Ferris mowers?
  9. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey PuppyPaws. I just realized where Marshville NC Is. I used to skirt right on by you on 485 going to Harrisburg. Its pretty country up there for sure
  10. puppypaws

I know you are familiar with this area, I'm only about 30 min. from the race track where they run the 600 lap event.