1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big bushes to remove!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Accent01, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Accent01

Accent01 LawnSite Member

Okay lady calls me up and says she about a dozen red tip phentitias that need to be removed due to a easement issue with the city. I say okay how big and all that good stuff. There about 20 ft tall. I go out there take a look and there is 9 of them right by the new road there buliding plus sidewalk. There actually 18 ft tall and very wide. Tell her i can do it for $250 all together( cut down, and haul off). She calls the next day and say's her husband would like the roots taken care of also. I tell her okay but the price will go up told with me doing a stump grinder it would go up to $450. And if did it by hand and dug the roots up then it would be $500 plus to fill in the holes with dirt. No call back yet on that she was all for $250 raise it up a little nothing. So is that to much or to little for that job? I am I wayt to high on the price should i come down?:usflag:
  2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I guess you're not using any materials or anything, but it still seems a bit low. I'd have charged a little less than double what you told her, but maybe I'd be too high.
  3. LuvdaPack36

LuvdaPack36 LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

easily $800 - $1000.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Heck somebody yesterday wanted to charge $500 for removing a branch that would take about a half hour at best.
  5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

A bit to low, that sounds like 2 trailer loads of brush on a 16 foot trailer, and I would charge $100 per load to haul off. Then I would charge $600 for the cutting and loading. Last thing I would sub out the stumps for around $200 and then up charge that $100. If done this way you should profit $850 after cost and before any help. I'm not sure if this helps or not, some customers would think that this is way over priced, but I wouldn't work for them. I also wouldn't even mention digging anything up with a shovel they may want to take you up on it.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

HOLY MOLY guy...........

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

That price is very low even for my area. I subbed out a fallen pine tree last friday, not a huge tree, no hauling off and he charged 200 bucks. no stump grinding either. Same guy sawed up one fallen pecan limb on top of my house (it was a large limb but not that large) and charged me 100 bucks. The job you are looking at will go for 800-1000 easy here.
  8. mbrew

mbrew LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how you're getting rid of stuff out there, but the dump hits me for $53.00 a load here in Ft. Worth. I have a couple of places I can take stuff to be ground into mulch, but they charge, $5.00 a CY. It's is a little cheaper usually, but not much. I haven't seen the bushes, but it sounds like an easy two loads. For haul offs I get a minimum $175.00 a load and I think I'm working cheap, but some people still don't want to pay it. I wish I could get what greenstarlawns is talking about. For me that would have been a minimum $350.00 to cut down and haul off, and probably another 250-300 for the stump grinding. No way would I dig it by hand.
  9. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

A guy cut my customers tree down (12 inch diameter) $100. Just cut it and let it fall into the woods. Did not pick up or cut up . I told my customer he was crazy to pay that. It took 2 min to knock tree down
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There are a lot of things I could say but I'll keep it short:

You gave them a nice price and it still wasn't good enough, you did the right thing.

And your price with the grinding still wasn't high.

Took two hours and another $100 to cut up a similar 40-foot long trunk about a foot in diameter and move it deeper into the woods.
    Did exactly what I said I would do in another thread, cut it into as few pieces as possible (5 cuts actually),
    wrapped chain around the resulting logs, hooked that to the back of the Z and drove into the woods until it was deep.

Because lets just say sometimes it's just what the customer wants.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010