Big Check from ins company???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Premo Services, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in a severe hail storm, and it beat my 2000 dodge ram to he!!. The hood and drivers side took most of the beating. I had an adjuster estimate the damage and he came in at 6000.00. I was going to set up the work but the repair dealer told me it would take a week and a half to two weeks. Wouldn,t you know it, my policy does not have loaner vehicle coverage. Well I have lived with the dents now for about a month and have received a 6000.00 check from ins company... I am thinking that I will invest the check on some toys for my business. An ezdumper or dump trailer, leaf vac for the fall so I can cash in on the leaf removal part of the leaf season. Mabey a larger enclosed trailer, and another mower or something. What would you do,fix the truck or but some stuff???

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i would go to the junk yard and try to find a "new" hood!

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, that would be good, but I need the whole drivers side replaced it is beat up too bad for repair...

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

sounds like its bad, but if possible, what about bondo? if you do a good job you can prime it, bondo it, sand it, prime it, and paint it, and you cant even tell until you try putting a magnet sign on it ;)

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Just make sure it's legal in your state before spending the money.

6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to play with it a bit. I have an aquaintance that has removed a lot of hail dents with dry ice. Lets the vehicle sit out in the sun, get the metal real warm and then hold a piece of dry ice on the dent, says they will pop right out.

7. Tatesville

Tatesville LawnSite Member

2000's a pretty young truck, might be worth talkin to your buddy who does body work (hopefully you got one), spend a few g's so your image is upheld, then go toy shopping! (AKA happy medium.) I can tell you from personal experience with the same type of scenario, if you dont fix it now, you probably wont ever.

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Try the old toilet plunger trick and see how many dents you can get out. Still check the junk yards. You just may find all the panels you need. My cousin was in a head-on, a drunk ran a stop sign, and the whole front of his car was totaled. He got luckly and found a car that the whole back end was totaled. He bought the whole car for $300 took off what he needed and sold what was left for $300 , a man was after the motor and trans. Now he got luckly but it is worth a try. The color may be wrong but a paint job will not cost $6K.

9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get it fixed as soon as the season is over unless you can get a loaner truck for a while. Image is important, besides would you want people to say "Hey thats a nice dump insert, too bad he put it on that beat up truck"

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently had a similar scenario, only my check was $1000!