1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big cleanup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K c m, Mar 23, 2005.

1. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Today I went in to check out a job in which leaves, sticker balls, limbs, and some lumber needed to be cleaned up. The problem is that i have never run my mower where there were an abundance of thos sticker balls (there smaller then a golf ball with thorns sticking out of them) is this going to be bad for the tires? or will it cause trouble for blades?

How would you handle these things?
  2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

It sure makes a lot of noise when you run over them but I haven't noticed any damage on my mowers.

They will throw pretty good though and you can't mulch them. I suggest that you either set your mower really low and bag them or round them up with a blower. I am thinking that the blower would work best in this situation with all of the leaves and branches and stuff.
  3. We have a butt ton, a little more than a crap load, of those things here in Virginia, they are called GumBalls, from Gum trees, "black gum, sweet gum, etc." I have never had any problems, with my Z, however if you are using a push mower, hope you have on boots, those things will come out from under that mower and pop you on the ankle. Make sure any body around the area has proper eye protection.
    My 2 cents. good luck
  4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

are really sweet gum balls. It helps to know what you are talking about.:angel: Craft stores sell them 40ct/bag for a buck twenty five.
    Bag 'em, don't mow, projectiles will spew forth at a lot of ft/sec. Can put an eye out.
    We mulch first with the Hustler WB, plate installed, then suck 'em up with the Z....

Attached Files:

5. Why not just suck em up first, with the Z of course, you are still creating a projectile hazard wether you are mulching or bagging.... Makes no sense to basically mow twice. I have one 1.9 acre property with probably 20 plus of those dam_ trees, not mowing twice. Thats why I have a toro with the DFS System.
    Just my thoughts..
  6. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the way I do it...

I mulch the leaves [and sweet gum balls] with my Hustler WB [turning gator blades] then run over the area with my Hustler Z [turning double gator blades] [rpm's on both machines set to 3650 under load], sounds ferocious! [like a vaccum cleaner from Hell!] the material gets positively pulverized, sweet gum balls included.
    This reduction in material volume, [I'm guessing by a factor of 5 or more] allows me to put more weight into the 3 bagger system [on my Hustler Z.] Sometimes, the front wheels will [float] this is with the supplied castor weight kit instlalled. This reduces my dump trips, and I use less bags. Thats just the way I do it.

I have to run over it twice, but it is less work for me in the long run.