Big Commercial Irrigation Job

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Jul 18, 2006.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Any of you guys bid and install big commercial irrigation jobs? For instance a new shopping center, mall, wal-mart, Target, etc. ?

And for those who do these larger commercial installs, suppose you have a job that is a $50,000 or $100,000 job, what is a typical payment schedule? How much do you get for a down payment? Do you get progress payments? If so, how often.

There is a big market for this where I live but not being familiar with commercial bids I am not very familiar with how to bid these.

2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

We are starting a large complex with two large department stores and two or three out buildings. The contract is for a set price, we are starting the sleeves next week and will bill for the work as we complete it in stages. After the sleeves are done I will bill for the itemized cost of the sleeves. Or you can take the % of the sleeves in the overall product cost and bill that % of the overall.

3. kozmo

kozmo LawnSite Member

We just completed a wal-mart after 1.5 yrs when we bid the job and when we went to contract we put together a payment sch. for each item in each section of construction. The construction company allowed us to billed 15 days in advance of next month and that incl. any materials on job. Out of that they subtract 10 percent retainer till completion.

4. Flow Control

Did you have to keep your price from the previous year or did they let you adjust your material cost to current levels. I have been noticing more and more bidding 1-2 years prior. We bid on a fed job the other week which is looking 2-3 years before breaking ground. With our raw materials being unstable as they are I am finding myself stabbing at where material pricing may be in the future which is extremely frustrating. You can not just add in your standard X amount for inflation. Being irrigation only I have yet to see an LCO that we work with that can relate to our increase in materials unless they do outdoor lighting.

5. kozmo

kozmo LawnSite Member

Thank goodness most piping and wiring was complete prior to the big jumps in materials.I Would of took on the chin.That is something i will have to take into consideration in the future.I never thought the job would got this long. Our biggest problem for last few months turned out to be water supply the two inch tap was done incorrectly and the pump kept shutting down.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

You would think that any goverment related install would be accustomed to "cost overruns" in that they deal with them all the time.

When I do an in-house estimate I have prices that I rely on which actually foresees prices going up. These are based on actual invoices I've tracked over the past year and is also what I use to charge out materials for repair work. Sometimes I get a PITA do-gooder organization that thinks they are getting "overcharged" on an estimate that they will be paying so I take the materials take-off to our main supplier and they do up an estimate. The estimates are usually within 3% of each other and often the distributor's estimate is higher because some things have gone up in price since the last time I purchased them since we basically purchase in bulk. However, each and every distributor's estimate has a note on it that their estimate is only good for thirty days.

7. Flow Control

Purp

Not sure if you ran your own business before working for the school, but there are some differences on this side of the line.

8. And the government wonders why from the time of proposal to submission of estimate, why an in-house estimated of cost and the actual estimates received was 3 times the estimated in-house estimate. I'm talking about the bid proposal for the Oakland\San Francisco Bay Bridge retro-fit. Cost of metal was x price when the in-house estimate(Cal-Trans)was given, 3 years later 2 companies proposal came in 3 times the amount of in-house proposal.

I do see clauses being put in for material cost increases because no matter what the trade or material, Petroleum plays a significant roll and world supplies of various raw products are in short supply because of demand.