1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

big contract need help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NLS, Aug 25, 2003.

1. NLS

NLS LawnSite Member

sub contractor that builds houses is looking for someone to lay 4000 square foot of sod (that he supplies), install 6 yards of mulch, plant 6 flowers (of your choice) and 1 tree (of your choice). You supply the mulch, tree, and flowers. How much would you charge? Also something to think about he has 90 new homes lined up for next year. Thank you for your help.
  2. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

This sounds like one of those " Treat me right on this and I'll give you more work" deals. Be careful with subbing from a sub. Get some $ up front. I know of many guys out my way that have gotton burned this way.
  3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I would be weary of getting involved. I think that I have yet to have a good experience with a contractor who has been in business for less than 20 years. I have 2 builders who I will work for without question, however the two of them have second generation companies.
  4. double e

double e LawnSite Member

Have a good contract written up and signed-

What if you lay the landscape the yard- and after the fact the yard gets torn up- by contractor trying to go back to make repairs to house- are you going to go back and re-sod the area for free

I would give a set contract for landscaping- say $1200 per yard- and give him a man hr. rate for any thing else- You'll come back a fix damage areas for $30 per hr.- min. of 3 hrs.

Is he also going to provide a finish grade?
  5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Just from what you have told me, and without seeing the job site I would bid that job @ $2050. Be careful how you word a contract with a builder. Also make sure that you'll be paid upon completion of the job. Some of these builders try to get away with "you'll get paid when I get paid" crap. Make sure you're not getting paid after the house sells, after the electricians, plummers, etc... .