Big Day Indeed!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DixieFerris, Nov 10, 2006.

1. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

We knocked out 16 leaf jobs today (8 for each team at avg $175 each)--perfect conditions, wish I had more days like that! Got home, checked my email a few minutes ago and the day just got a whole lot better. Three years ago when I ventured out on my own and started my company, a somewhat big player in the area and I had a confrontation. I knew who they were and thought they were who I wanted to be someday. One day I was mowing by myself and went over to introduce myself to the crew. The one worker said hi and said the owner is actually here with us and you can talk to him. I went up and said hello and wanted to ask him a few equipment questions, etc. He immediately walked over to my trailer and started making fun of my Dixie Chopper (meanwhile I mowed a house faster with that by myself than the three of them just had). Anyways, the guy told me I was wasting my time in this business and in the area we work, and that he was getting out of it and landscaping more, etc. He continued to talk down to me and went out of his way to tell me how great they are and how guys like me are clueless. I vowed to never forget. I have always been friendly towards other companies and wave, say hello, etc. But this guy has always snubbed us. Well today my email reads "Congrats to you and your company, we are awarding you the bid for 2007-2009 at our park for $42k for our 7 buildings. Guess who I took it away from? and at a 2k increase to boot? We already took six places from that company during the summer as they slacked and we rolled. He picked the wrong guy to talk down to, and revenge is very sweet. His company used to be about 400k, and now is down under 300k. Our third year (this year) puts us at about 275k gross, and next year I am projected a bit over 400k. How the tables have turned. Think I should call him and ask if any of that equipment is for sale! haha!

Sorry I know some of you won't like that story, but I have been disgusted with that guy for a few years now, and it just feels good!:usflag:
  2. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

good for you too many people in this industry think they are better than everyone else and mad at the world now ur goal should be take all his accounts away... if i was you i would take the contract and just roll up to him one day and say look u must be that terrible that they are paying more to hire someone over you

but how do u know what he grossed and who profits more is the question
  3. DixieFerris

he runs his mouth all over town, and between a couple of us having coffee down at the nursery we buy stock, we pieced it together. His arrogance got him no where. I took digital photos of his work at that park from time to time and put them in the proposal next to our portfolio and the people we won the bid from loved it. There is plenty of work for everyone, but taking this guy down is awful sweet
  4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

You can change you name, Chevyman1, but you're still the same old jerk you always were.
  5. DixieFerris

Go Red Sox, good luck with D-Mat, that pitcher looks awesome!
  6. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Let me get this Str8......You took pictures of his work at the park you bid on. and put it next to pictures of work you did at other places? Then submitted it to the company he was doing and won the bid? IF thats the case then....

I think the people you put the bid in to should be smart enough to figure your work was better by looking at your picts without you needing to put the 2 side by side. just my 2pennys......... Sounds like you will do anything to get a bid away from this guy
  7. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry but forgot to say congrats on getting it no matter what happened.....
  8. scaper27

scaper27 LawnSite Member

The guy is probably just bidding on other stuff and bid high on the park. Or you underbid, just to get the job. Is the 42K for 2 year span or for each year
  9. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

If the guy talked $hit to you and you out bid him.... even 2000 PLUS side, I wouldn't shed a single damn tear!

As long as you're not stalking the guy to take his accounts, and still kick his a$$...GO for it!

BUT.... don't be cocky about it! He probably felt intimidated or threatened by your ability or just your presence in the area... he's probably got to be a provider as well.

Count your blessings and move on brother! Be the better man!
  10. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I agree with WildWest. Good for you that you got the account, but don't get malicious about taking all his accounts. That's bad Karma. Take care of your own business and keep doing great work and you'll get what you deserve.