big decision to make need advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenn1001, May 18, 2006.

1. greenn1001

greenn1001 LawnSite Member

right now i mow 14-15 lawns by myself after school. (about 3 a night) summer starts in one week.Today i was asked by a competing lawn service owner, who mows many yards in my area if i would be interested in being a crew leader for him. he proposed that maybe if i could do my yards in 2-3 days during the summer i could work for him 2-3 days. first does this sound like a good idea (keep in mind i just had knee surgery in oct-rt/jan-lft and am unsure about walking:walking: for hours a day nearly every day) second if i take him up on the offer what should i ask for as far as pay? (he offered 9-10 an hour, seems a little low, i make 20ish with my yards) or should i focus on my biz and try to muster up a few more jobs? thanks
  2. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

If it were me, I would try to get a few more jobs on my own. If you worked for him, you would have to deal with his crap, his employees crap, and if you were crew leader, then his customers' crap. If it's just you, then you only deal with customers' crap, and you will make more money.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

This depends, I have to ask, how old are you? You say summer, but I'm not sure if it's college or high school. The reason I ask is that if his employees are a lot older than you, they aren't going to listen to you, they'll walk all over you. In that case, you'd be better off hustling your own lawns and making more money. But $10 an hour with zero investment isn't bad either and I'd hope that by mowing your own lawns you're making more than $20 an hour, I was hitting between $50-60 an hour when I was still doing maintenance.
  4. greenn1001

greenn1001 LawnSite Member

well i actually make a little more than that i have some 30-40 dollar lawns most of which i can do in about an hour. some of my 30's i can do in 45 minutes. I am in high school almost 18 years old. thanks for the comments
  5. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

You would also have conflict. What if one of his customers is refered to you by one of your current customers? The flip side is you could learn alot from his experience.
  6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

So, you're going by gross to be what you are making an hour? :nono:
  7. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

you are competition to him and if you go work for him, your not,,, and it sounds to me like you would Mk 10 x 40 = 400 or 300 aft taxes,,, I bet if you got 5 more cust's,, you could do that on your own in a bout 15 hours of your time,, or better yet get 30 cust total and double your income and Not have to take any chit from anybody!
  8. CBramble

CBramble LawnSite Member

Don't be short-sighted. You gotta look at the long run. Do you plan on making a career out of this? Or is this just bringing in some $$ before you go to college? If this is a career then I would seriosuly consider working for the guy. You will gain valuable experience on how a big business works and runs.
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ide work for him, you cant expect to make $20 an hour at your age and when just starting at the job. However, it seems like a great opportunity if you are being asked to be a crew leader right up front. Sounds like a good deal to me
  10. jpicciu

jpicciu LawnSite Member

In my opinion, you should not push yourself after your surgery by working for him and doing more yards than you do now. Around 3 a night sounds about right for you. Besides, working by yourself is about as good as it gets. Sure you might learn some valuable things by working for a bigger company, but I have learned a ton being on my own as well. And to be honest with you, this forum is about as good as it gets with learning new stuff. I can't tell you how much I have picked up just by reading what people have to say. I don't even post that often, but I am reading stuff here every time I have a few spare minutes.

So my advice on your own, don't work more than you have too coming off surgery, and mow those yards like they are your own. Good things will happen. As others have said, if you work for the other company, you will have to deal with other people's crap. By yourself, if you do a good job and take your time and all that jazz, you can stay away from it. You can do it on your own most definitely. I do, and tons of others do. I just see this as being the best way to go, but its obviously your choice. Good luck, let us know how it goes.